《 英汉语篇翻译教程 》 . 著者：范守义、郭立秋、贾令仪 2011 年 6-9 月. 译文讲评： Text A (PPT v 2.0). Text A: 10 Things Millionaires Won’t Tell You . Passage 13: . 第 1 段第 1 句. household 也是有多个义项的，包括 house · hold [countable] all the people who live together in one house [= house]:
译文讲评：Text A (PPT v 2.0)
Text A: 10 Things Millionaires Won’t Tell You
They’re richer than 90 percent of U.S. households,
household goods/products/items etc
2be a household name/word
to be very well known:
But the club isn’t so exclusive anymore.
Indeed, many millionaires still don’t have enough for exclusive luxuries, like membership at an elite golf club, which can top $300,000 a year.
1. Excluding or tending to exclude: exclusive barriers.
2. Not allowing something else; incompatible: mutually exclusive conditions.
3. Not divided or shared with others: exclusive publishing rights.
4. Not accompanied by others; single or sole: your exclusive function.
5. Complete; undivided: gained their exclusive attention.
6. Not including the specified extremes or limits, but only the area between them: 20-25, exclusive; that is, 21, 22, 23 and 24.
7. Excluding some or most, as from membership or participation: an exclusive club.
8. Catering to a wealthy clientele; expensive: exclusive shops.
9. Linguistics Of, relating to, or being a first person plural pronoun that excludes the addressee, such as we in the sentence Chris and I will be in town tomorrow, so we can stop by your office.
1. A news item initially released to only one publication or broadcaster.
2. An exclusive right or privilege, as to market a product.
1:to give support or relief to
2:to supply with sustenance:nourish
4:to support the weight of:prop;also:to carry or withstand (a weight or pressure)
“They’re worried about health care, retirement and how they’ll sustain their lifestyle,”
5:to buoy up<sustainedby hope>
6 a:to bear up under b:suffer,undergo<sustainedheavy losses>
7 a:to support as true, legal, or just b:to allow or admit as valid<the courtsustainedthe motion>
8:to support by adequate proof:confirm<testimony that sustainsour contention>
1. Orderly and neat in appearance or procedure. See Synonyms at neat.
2. Informal Adequate; satisfactory: a tidy arrangement.
3. Informal Substantial; considerable: a tidy sum.
v. ti·died, ti·dy·ing, ti·dies
v.tr. : To put in order: tidied up the house.
v.intr. : To make things tidy: tidied up after dinner.
A decorative protective covering for the arms or headrest of a chair.
While $1 million was a tidy sumthree decades ago,
About 80 percent say they spend with a middle-class mind-set, according to a 2007 survey of high-net-worth individuals, published by American Express and the Harrison Group.
1 a small piece of printed paper that gives you the right to pay less for something or get something free:
2 a printed form, used when you order something, enter a competition etc:
“We can afford just about anything,” he says, adding that his net worth is over $1 million.
That said, there are plenty of millionaires who never check a price tag.
I’ve always wanted to live above my means because it inspired me to work harder,”
1.Something having a position, quality, or condition midway between extremes; a medium.
a.A number that typifies a set of numbers, such as a geometric mean or an arithmetic mean.
b.The average value of a set of numbers.
3.LogicThe middle term in a syllogism.
4.means(used with a sing. or pl. verb)A method, a course of action, or an instrument by which an act can be accomplished or an end achieved.
5.means(used with a pl. verb)
a.Money, property, or other wealth:You ought to live within your means.
b.Great wealth:a woman of means.
Regardless of how they built their nest egg,
… virtually all millionaires “make judicious use of debt,
They’ll take out loans to build their business, avoid high-interest credit card debt and leverage their home equityto finance purchasesif their cash flow doesn’t cut it.
That hot restaurant may be booked for months—at least when Joe Nobody calls to make reservations.
… and that’s where thepersonal concierge comes in.
Working for retainersthat range anywhere from $25 an hour to six figures a year, these modern-day butlers have the inside trackon chic restaurants, spa reservations, even an early tee timeat the golf club.