“Bad Blood – A Cautionary Tale”. Write out the Questions and Answers. Take all Notes given. “Bad Blood”. 1. What are some of the symptoms/problems with Hemophilia? * Genetic disorder typically passed from mothers to sons. * A protein: Factor 8 and Factor 9 are missing from the blood.
“Bad Blood – A Cautionary Tale”
Write out the Questions and Answers.
Take all Notes given.
1. What are some of the symptoms/problems with Hemophilia?
* Genetic disorder typically passed from mothers to sons.
* A protein: Factor 8 and Factor 9 are missing from the blood.
1st Treatment for Hemophilia: Whole blood transfusions
* 1964 – Janet Poole
* She noticed a residue at the bottom of the bag of plasma (it had been being thrown away)
* She tested the residue – it had 10 x’s the clotting factor of whole blood.
* Called it “Cryo”
* 1966 - Anti-hemophiliac Factor 8 Concentrate was approved for use
* It was called “Factor”
2. What were some of the immediate benefits of “Factor”?
3. What are some of the long-term benefits of “Factor”?
* Hepatitis = ?
* Inflammation of the liver
4. Why is having paid donors a risky endeavor?
* 1-3 infected people in a pool of 60,000 is expected
* All people got Hepatitis
* Cost versus Benefit
* We deal with this every day!
* Early 1982 – 1st incidence of AIDS in hemophiliacs
* AIDS = ?
* Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
* 800 known cases of AIDS
* 8 were Hemophiliacs (1% of population) – That was in the VERY BEGINNING.
5. Would you wait for scientific data to make a decision? Why or Why not.
6. When comparing “Factor” to “Cryo”, why was “Cryo” not a choice for many?
* It is important for doctors to state the facts and let patients come to their own conclusions.
7. Were there enough facts to give to patients to prevent AIDS from spreading? Explain.
* 95% of all hemophiliacs had acquired AIDS from the transfusions that made it possible for them to live normal lives.
8. Was the school right in kicking out Ryan White? Explain.
9. What was needed to kill the HIV virus?
* A government agency apologized.
Damages were awarded
* Hepatitis C is now the #1 killer of hemophiliacs
* Liver transplant can cure hemophilia
* Factor 8 is made in the liver
* Can not get a liver transplant if have HIV/AIDS