Overview of Personal Selling. Module Two. Learning Objectives. 1. Describe the evolution of personal selling from ancient times to the modern era. 2. Explain the contributions of personal selling to society, business firms, and customers.
1. Describe the evolution of personal selling from ancient times to the modern era.
2. Explain the contributions of personal selling to society, business firms, and customers.
3. Distinguish between transaction-focused traditional selling and trust-based relationship selling.
4. Discuss five alternative approaches to selling.
5. Describe the three primary roles fulfilled by consultative salespeople
6. Understand the sales process as a series of interrelated steps.
UPS Builds Trust and Long-Term Customer Relationships
Personal selling refers to personalcommunication with a an audiencethrough paid personnel of anorganization or its agents insuch a way that the audienceperceives the communicator’sorganization as being the sourceof the message.
Peddlers selling door to door . . . served as intermediaries
Selling function became more structured
Business organizations employed salespeople
Selling function became more professionalEvolution of Personal Selling
As we begin the 21st century, selling continues to develop,
becoming more professional and more relational
Salespeople help with the diffusion of innovationContributions of Personal Selling: Salespeople and Society
Salespeople provide market research and customer feedback
Salespeople become future leaders in the organizationContributions of Personal Selling: Salespeople and the Employing Firm
Enhancing Customer Relationships
Adding Value through Follow-up, Self-leadership, and Teamwork