Important Factors in Health. 1) Diet & Exercise (Nutrition & Activity). BODY. 2) Thinking and Emotions. MIND. 3) Your place in the Universe. SPIRIT. “Central Dogma”. Agouti Mice Experiment. DNA. RNA. Proteins. “traits”. Agouti. Normal.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Important Factors in Health
1) Diet & Exercise (Nutrition & Activity)
2) Thinking and Emotions
3) Your place in the Universe
Agouti Mice Experiment
Agouti mice: Have yellow coats, display obesity, diabetes and
cardiovascular disease, similar to animals missing leptin.
Leptin - hormone released by fat cells after eating.
When leptin levels rise, alpha melanocyte stimulating hormone (α-MSH) rises, increasing metabolic rate, triggering satiety.
α-MSH plays a role in feeding behavior, energy homeostasis, and sexual activity. Also stimulates melanogenesis, for pigmentation of hair and skin.
A naturally occurring genetic mutation blocks the function of α-MSH. Phenotypic changes result, e.g. the Agouti Mouse!
Avy PS1A methylation as a function of tissue type and animal age. (A) Average percent methylation of seven CpG sites in the Avy PS1A in tail (T), liver (L), kidney (K), and brain (B) samples from five Avy/a animals representing the five coat color classes shown in Fig. 2A. Avy methylation in the tail correlates highly with that in other tissues (r2 > 0.98 for all comparisons). (B) Average percent methylation of Avy PS1A in day 100 liver versus that in day 21 tail tip DNA. Percent methylation in day 21 tail predicts that in day 100 liver (r2 = 0.95). Open triangles, unsupplemented offspring; solid triangles, supplemented offspring. Neither group departed significantly from the line of identity (shown). Hence, Avy PS1A methylation is maintained with high fidelity into adulthood.
Mol Cell Biol. 2003 August; 23(15): 5293–5300.
Proof you can change your genetics daily (hourly) by the foods you eat and …
e.g.: - organic vegetables and fruit
- whole brown rice, quinoa
- raw nuts and seeds
Who invented pop tarts and why?
e.g.: - white sugar ()
- white flour
- heavily preserved (packaged) items
Refined or Whole food?
Glucose - most important sugar in Human Body!
Sucrose - highly refined, ‘table sugar’ – Avoid!
High Fructose Corn Syrup – Bad for you!!!
“But it tastes so good”
Rollercoaster ride = Diabetes Mellitus Type II
Diet and the Immune System
The Effects of Carbohydrates
on the Phagocytic Index
* Rat tooth
Far more Sugar in our Diet now!
e.g., in 1999 the average American consumed 150lbs of sugar/year.
Cultural? Social? Conditioning?
Television, Movies, Advertisements
Can you see
what I see?
Hypnotized people can read reversed, mirrored and upside-down text at a normal rate. That is, the subconscious mind decodes any text, no matter how it's written. Recognition of images are even more powerful!
Your subconscious mind is very flexible
and can see everything!
“It frightens me still to realize how deeply alcohol advertisers understand the precise nature of addiction and how deliberately and destructively they use their knowledge”
Jean Kilbourne, Chair, Council on Alcohol Policy
50% - 50% split!
85% chose coke!
50% - 50% split!
“There are visual images and marketing messages that have insinuated themselves into the nervous system of humans who consume the drink. It is possible that cultural messages perturb taste sensation.”
How can we protect ourselves?
Understand the Mind and ‘Thinking’ better and apply a useful system
1. Grammar - Discovering and ordering facts of reality; provides a basic, systematicKnowledge.
2. Logic – DevelopingReasonin establishing valid relationships among facts, forming systematicUnderstanding(non-contradictory identification).
3. Rhetoric - Speaking or writing persuasively. Systematically useable knowledge & understanding generatingWisdom.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad.
Schooling ≠ Education
12 years or 15,000 hours of Indoctrination, not Education, is for a Reason!
To create people who are unable to think critically. And also who do not see themselves as Special or Spiritual!
“The Impact of Science on Society” (1951) Bertram Russell. “The Scientific Dictatorship” p 50, “Intended Role of Education”
“Education should aim at destroying free will so that after the pupils have left school they shall be incapable throughout the rest of their lives of thinking or acting otherwise than as their school masters would have wished”.
So is there a relationship between schooling, food, thinking and our
Body, Mind &
Human Genome Project (2000)
Expected ~150,000 Genes, but only found ~21,000
1 gene ≠ 1 protein
Conflict of Interest?
GMO Toxicity Affects Animals, Plants and Soil
1) GMOs disrupt digestion. A 2004 study Nature Biotechnology found that transgenic plant DNA persists in the human gastrointestinal tract upon consumption. This is the closest thing to a human clinical trial that has ever been conducted with GMOs, shows genetic material from GMOs actually transfers into the DNA of living bacteria in the gut, where it reproduces indefinitely. (http://www.anh-usa.org)
2) GMOs cause cancer. The Seralini Study provides solid evidence that GMOs are processed by mammals differently than natural foods. Rats fed a lifetime of GMOs sprayed with the toxic Roundup (glyphosate) herbicide developed serious tumors that took over their entire bodies. Also the International Journal of Biological Sciences showed similar results, with the addition of organ failure as a symptom of GMO consumption. (http://www.naturalnews.com)
3) GMOs increase herbicide use. Contrary to industry claims, GMOs have not reduced the need for chemical inputs, but rather greatly expanded it. Washington State University's Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources found that herbicide use has increased by an astounding 527 millions pounds since GMOs were first introduced.
4) GMOs damage native species. A major point of contention with GMOs is that they can very easily pass their traits onto non-GMO, organic, and native crops and other plants, effectively destroying their very integrity permanently. Hundreds of farmers have been sued by Monsanto and other GMO giants after their crops were inadvertently contaminated by GMOs. GMOs are also responsible for killing off bees, bats, butterflies, and other pollinators, whose bodies are unable to handle the onslaught of altered DNA and chemicals that are characteristic of GMO technologies.
5) GMOs pollute the environment. A 2011 study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science found that the Bacillus thuriengensis (Bt) bacteria engineered into Monsanto's GM corn can now be found in hundreds of streams and waterways throughout the U.S. Another study published in the journal Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry revealed that Roundup herbicide is also present in many waterways and groundwater sources throughout America as well. (http://naturalsociety.com)
6) GMOs deplete soil minerals, destroy beneficial bacteria. Studies have shown that these chemicals degrade and deplete soils of vital minerals and beneficial bacteria, both of which protect crops from pests, viruses, and other threatening elements. Glyphosate, the active component in Roundup, also does not biodegrade, which means it is continually accumulating in the environment without restraint,
7) GMOs spawn crop-destroying 'superweeds,' 'superbugs.’ The premise is GMOs artificially engineer crops with resistance to chemicals and exposures that would otherwise kill them, thus they can improve yields and protect the environment. This allowed farmers to indiscriminately spray chemicals (Roundup) on crops without worrying about killing them. But system is now failing, as the weeds and pests targeted by GMO technologies have mutated and developed resistance As a result, pestilence and disease is on the rise due to GMOs.
The Daily Mail reported, "Fresh row over GM foods as French study claims rats fed the controversial crops suffered tumors." (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2205509/Fresh-fears-GM...)
"The animals on the GM diet suffered mammary tumors, as well as severe liver and kidney damage. The researchers said 50 percent of males and 70 percent of females died prematurely, compared with only 30 percent and 20 percent in the control group."
Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) has developed a novel variety of genetically-modified (GM) wheat that contains an altered protein and enzyme-suppressing mechanism that some scientists believe could cause serious problems for the human liver. A recent report says that children born to parents who consume this GM wheat variety could actually end up dying before they reach the age of five.
Pesticides, growth hormones, stimulants,
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)…
None of those harmful elements
But more than that...
Synthesized by plants, they belong to a group of phytochemicals called phytoalexins. Plants produce this in response to attack by pathogenic organisms such as fungi, viruses and bacteria.
Resveratrol first of the salvestrols discovered.
Antioxidant, anti-aging, cardiovascular protectant…
Content of Resveratrol in selected foods
CYP1B1 – a cancer enzyme (marker) found in all types of cancer cells:
e.g. bladder, brain, breast, colon, esophagus, kidney, liver, lung, lymph node, ovary, skin, stomach, testis and uterus…
*Several dozen more salvestrols have subsequently been discovered in organically grown fruits and vegetables.
Over 90% more Salvestrol content in Organic Produce.
How Salvestrols Work
All Fats are Not Equal!
Omega-3- and 6-Fatty Acids
Cholesterol (LDL’s and HDL’s)
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils
Trans Fats and Acrylamide
*Dr. Ancel Keys (1958)
Ischemic Heart Disease
Hydroxymethyl Glutaric Acid (HMG-CoA)
Statin = HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors
*Without these 3 end products you age prematurely
Biochem Cell Biol. 1992 Jun;70(6):422-8
Decreased Levels of Dolichol result in:
Dolichol in Brain
The heart, liver and kidney have highest CoQ10 concentrations
CoQ10 is Protectant!
Unsaturated Oils vs. Saturated Fats
Polyunsaturated Fats – e.g., canola, soybean, safflower, corn - easily become rancid when exposed to oxygen and produce free radicals in the body.
Just Say No!
*Olive oil – Still good; best if not heated!
Why is it that every processed food has the
same basic 5 ingredients in them?
The Farm Bill
Virgin Coconut Oil- a saturated fat with medium chain Fatty Acids (MCFA) - extremely heat stable and very beneficial for human physiology.
Saint-Onge and Jones (2003)
* Coconut Oil does not elevate cholesterol or cause heart disease.
* Reduces weight gain.
* 50% Lauric Acid – same lipid in breast milk. Protective properties.
Eating fat makes you fat and increases your risk of cardiovascular disease - Right?
growth hormone injected, antibiotic loaded,
corn fed, poorly treated, sick animals.
trypsin inhibitors, goitrogens, phytic acid,
phytoestrogens, haemagglutinin, GM.
Find organic eggs = Nutrient rich!
Complete pro-; higher pro- content than soy.
A Better Food
1. No growth stimulants, no antibiotics,
no artificial fertilizers.
2. No pesticides, irradiation, preservatives, additives, artificial colors or flavors.
3. No Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs).
4. Primarily Locally Grown, Seasonal food.
5. Higher nutrient and mineral values ( taste).
65% of Americans are overweight.
27% are clinically obese.
60% of Americans do not exercise.
(17% of kids ages 6 to 19)
3 Worst Foods?
↑ glycemic index!
↑ Trans Fats
* Tertiary Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ)
Contains lots of sugar
Contains no sugar
Average American consumes 54 gallons/year
↑ ↑ glycemic index!
Artificial Additives and Flavors?
Why they are added? Their Effects?
(“Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills” by Dr. Russell Blaylock, 1995)
“SALT SUGAR FAT”
How the Food Giants Hooked Us
By Michael Moss (2013)
Potato Chips among the most addictive junk foods (2011) – Hits all 3!
Why is MSG bad for you?!?
Interferes with actions of the Hypothalamus in your brain.
Satiety Center Inhibited by MSG
“Truth in Labeling” organization lists the hidden names for MSG
Foods always contain MSG when these words are on the label:
Girl Scout Cookie Label
* Tertiary Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ)
Lets Examine Sodas
No Sugar, Aspartame
Contains lots of sugar
Dangerous Ingredients in Diet Coke
The knowledge or skill obtained or developed by a learning process.
What if some things Block our Spiritual connection?
music from ‘megastars’
to distract people
Toxic food for
“Dr. Mary’s Monkey” by Edward T. Haslam (2007)
Fight for your Mind!
Just Say NO to TV!
How can we protect ourselves?
Exercise your Body to strengthen and protect your Mind and Spirit
Benefits of Exercise
Healthier brains and increased cognitive skills, makes neurons release brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), trigger brain stem cells to into new neurons.
Greater blood flow to your brain , decreased risk of heart and blood vessel diseases
Slow the development of Alzheimer's disease.
Significantly fewer plaques and beta-amyloid peptides (Alzheimer's).
Lowers activity of bone-morphogenetic protein (BMP), slows production of new brain cells.
Increases Noggin, that acts as a BMP antagonist.
At least as good as antidepressants, elevating serotonin and endorphins levels in brain.
Increases hippocampus cells (depression shows fewer cells hippocampus).
Avoid sugar (esply fructose) -suppresses BDNF; levels critically low in depression.
Exercise is profoundly beneficial effects on memory and mental health!
There is no way to Happiness, Happiness is the way
Golden Ratio – Sacred Anatomy
You are Amazing!
The Vetruvian Man expressed the Canon of Proportions.
Examples in Human Anatomy
10 Scientific Dogmas – Dr. Rupert Sheldrake, Ph.D.
Nature is Mechanical
Mater is Unconscious
Laws of Nature are Fixed
Total Mass and Energy are always the Same
Nature is Purposeless
Biological Heredity is Material
Memories are stored in the Brain
Your Mind is inside your Head
Telepathy and Psychic Phenomena are Impossible
Mechanistic Medicine is the only kind that works
These beliefs should and have been respectfully challenged.
e.g. Laws of Nature are Fixed; Constants are fixed.
e.g. Your Mind is inside your Head
Near Death Experiences
“Meditation Increases Compassionate Responses
to Suffering”Psychological Science (2013)
*Insula and Cingulate gyrus involved in empathy.
Northeastern and Harvard Universities examined effects of 8 weeks of meditation on compassion and virtuous behavior.
Who acted to help?
Non-meditating group = 15%
Meditating group = 50%
You are in the Universe and the Universe is in you!
Human egg cell
1665-1674 Robert Hooke;
Anton van Leeuwenhoek.
Robert Fludd (1574 – 1637)