Management Natura 2000 in EU27. Lessons learned. Rink W. KRUK (INBO) Geert DE BLUST (INBO) Rob van APELDOORN (Alterra) Andrew SIERS (CEH). 3 reports. EU27 Research Project: Natura 2000. EU funded project, for EU27 Designation of Natura 2000 sites Management of Natura 2000 sites
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Management Natura 2000 in EU27
Rink W. KRUK (INBO)
Geert DE BLUST (INBO)
Rob van APELDOORN (Alterra)
Andrew SIERS (CEH)
EU27 Research Project: Natura 2000
EU funded project, for EU27
- Challenges and Solutions
Where are we now?
Earliest designation deadlines 2007, 2009, 2010.
Management still in its infancy
Progress SCIs designation (Natura 2000 database June 2008; ETC/BD)
Two types of managing:
Different points of departure for countries
(tradition, already existing structures, (de-)population)
Contracts, Letters of intent, compensation, buying, etc.
Two types of realizing management plans
Responsibility Execution of Management
Necessary for defining requirements, structuring management
- ecological/geographical region
- species or habitat-type
- type or degree of cooperation (traditional users, professionals)
Danger: Can be valid for so many things that it becomes too vague
Challenges and Solutions - 1
Challenges and Solutions - 2
- Often too little data to formulate sound Conservation Objectives
- Too vaguely described in management plans
Challenges and Solutions - 3
- Essential to invest in staff
NB Keep good supervision, guide (strategy)
Challenges and Solutions - 4
- Municipalities (big responsibility, little priority)
NB Countries very creative. Some countries rely primarily on EU Funds, but how long will that still last?
Challenges and Solutions - 5
In management and control
Many short-term projects leading to
Challenges and Solutions - 6
None or vague?
- Distrust, confusion of stakeholders
Parc de Massif de Bauges – Prairies Fleuries
Now: 65 farmers, 875ha
To be: 220 farmers, 4000ha
Cooperation between farmers, bee-keepers, authorities, research inst.
- Management by objective, not by prohibition
- Compensation paid (PHARE2), voluntary
- Simple self monitoring system
- Higher quality fodder for cattle and cheese
- Special nature branding for honey and cheese
- Award for agro-ecological excellence
- NGOs play major role in developing and execution Management