Management Natura 2000 in EU27. Lessons learned. Rink W. KRUK (INBO) Geert DE BLUST (INBO) Rob van APELDOORN (Alterra) Andrew SIERS (CEH). 3 reports. EU27 Research Project: Natura 2000. EU funded project, for EU27 Designation of Natura 2000 sites Management of Natura 2000 sites
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Rink W. KRUK (INBO)
Geert DE BLUST (INBO)
Rob van APELDOORN (Alterra)
Andrew SIERS (CEH)
EU27 Research Project: Natura 2000
EU funded project, for EU27
- Challenges and Solutions
Earliest designation deadlines 2007, 2009, 2010.
Management still in its infancy
Progress SCIs designation (Natura 2000 database June 2008; ETC/BD)
Two types of managing:
Different points of departure for countries
(tradition, already existing structures, (de-)population)
Contracts, Letters of intent, compensation, buying, etc.
Two types of realizing management plans
Responsibility Execution of Management
Necessary for defining requirements, structuring management
- ecological/geographical region
- species or habitat-type
- type or degree of cooperation (traditional users, professionals)
Danger: Can be valid for so many things that it becomes too vague
- Often too little data to formulate sound Conservation Objectives
- Too vaguely described in management plans
- Essential to invest in staff
NB Keep good supervision, guide (strategy)
- Municipalities (big responsibility, little priority)
NB Countries very creative. Some countries rely primarily on EU Funds, but how long will that still last?
In management and control
Many short-term projects leading to
None or vague?
- Distrust, confusion of stakeholders
Parc de Massif de Bauges – Prairies Fleuries
Now: 65 farmers, 875ha
To be: 220 farmers, 4000ha
Cooperation between farmers, bee-keepers, authorities, research inst.
- Management by objective, not by prohibition
- Compensation paid (PHARE2), voluntary
- Simple self monitoring system
- Higher quality fodder for cattle and cheese
- Special nature branding for honey and cheese
- Award for agro-ecological excellence
- NGOs play major role in developing and execution Management