The Oresteia By Aeschylus. Andy Monagle Abby Sevier Sarah Sheehan. Background.
The Oresteia written by the Greek playwright Aeschylus in 5th century BC. It details the story of the House of Atreus, shortly by before and then after the Trojan War. It is the only surviving example of Ancient Greek trilogy.
An awful although pretty accurate retelling of the Odyssey done by some students.
1.Orestes-his mother (Clytaemnestra) is left by husband (Agamemnon) while fighting the trojan war. She is courted by a suitor (Aegisthus)
2. Agamemnon- Spends years away from home fighting the Trojan War. Returns to find his wife(Clytaemnestra) courted by a suitor(Aegisthus).
3. Clytaemnestra- Wife of a king (Agamemnon) She is left at home for a long time, giving her ample time to be courted by a suitor (Aegisthus)
4. Cillissa- Nurse that rescues Orestes from his poisonous home. Seen as a symbol of safety and comfort.
5. Aegisthus- Suitor that is Clytaemnestra's lover while Agamemnon is off at war. Receives ample warning of his wrongdoing from the goddess Athena.
6. Fawn Scar- when Orestes is united with his sister Electra he shows a scar he received from a fawn to prove who he is.
7. Matricide-Orestes kills his mother as revenge for the death of his father. This is widely discussed later in the book as to whether its ethical or not.
A.Boar Scar- To prove his identity, Odysseus shows the scar he received in a boar hunt to many characters.
B.Slaughter in the Halls-Odysseus goes a bit overboard and brutally kills all Penelope's suitors as a means of revenge.
C. Penelope- Wife of a king (Odysseus) She is home alone for 20 years, being courted by suitors the entire time.
D.Telemachus- his mother (Penelope) is left by husband (Odysseus) for an extended period of time and is courted by multiple suitors, "bleeding their house white"
E.Eurycleia- Nurse that cares for Penelope while Odysseus is off at war.
F.Suitors- Men who pursue Penelope disgracing the house of Odysseus. They receive warning from Zeus foreshadowing their demise.
G.Odysseus-Is away from home for 20 years. He arrives home to find his wife pursued by many men.Match The Oresteia to the Odyssey!