Ensuring Excellence in EMS Care for Kansas Children. Jeffrey Colvin, M.D., J.D., FAAP Kansas Chapter American Academy of Pediatrics. Summary. Children can not be treated as “little adults” when providing medical care.
Jeffrey Colvin, M.D., J.D., FAAP
American Academy of Pediatrics
DISPARITIES GAIN NATIONAL ATTENTION
“If there is one word to describe pediatric emergency care in 2006, it is uneven.”
IOM, Emergency Care for Children: Growing Pains (2007)
The Mission of Kansas EMSC:
1. Enhance the Operational Capacity of Kansas to Provide Pediatric Emergency Care.
2. Achieve Adoption of State Requirements for Pediatric Emergency Education for the Recertification of Paramedics.
3. Obtain Permanence of EMSC into Kansas’s EMS System to Ensure a Continued Pediatric Voice in EMS Decision-making.
1. Improve Kansas’s Operational Capacity to Provide Pediatric Emergency Care.
2. Adoption of State Requirements for Pediatric Emergency Education for the Recertification of Paramedics & EMTs.
- National Average: 14% Continuing Education Time is Required to be Pediatric-Specific
3. Permanence of EMSC into Kansas’s EMS System to Ensure a Continued Pediatric Voice in EMS Decision-Making.
“From a public perspective there is no assurance these agencies who are answering calls for emergency medical assistance meet any standard for training, equipment, operations, quality assurance and quality improvement, medical oversight, communications or other essential capabilities to provide safe and effective care.”
1. Recommend that the National EMSC Guidelines are Adopted by KBEMS
2. Recommend that the Following EMSC Goals are Supported by KBEMS:
a. Inter-Facility Transfer Agreements and Protocols for all Kansas Hospitals.
b. State-Wide Hospital Recognition System Delineating Kansas (or Neighboring State) Hospitals Capable of Caring of More Severely Injured or Ill Children.
3. Recommend Pediatric Representation on the Kansas Board of EMS
a. Appointment of a board member with pediatric expertise, and also
b. Change of the statute mandating a pediatric representative on the Board of EMS