Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. “The Metamorphosis” By: Franz Kafka Literary Criticism: “The Metamorphosis” By: Helmut Richter By: Lindsay Glosson, Avery Griffith, Jen Wardyga, and Julie Wardyga
2. “The Metamorphosis” “Let a man want the best for his family and devote himself completely to his job, and it can happen that as a result the life of the family is destroyed, because the human element must withdraw.”
3. Background Franz Kafka- born July 3, 1883
Born into a middle class Jewish family in Prague
His father was a traveling sales representative
Ill-tempered and disrespectful towards his son’s dreams of literature and writing
Grew up in an atmosphere of familial tensions and social rejection as a member of Prague’s Jewish minority
4. Background He became the oldest son when his two brothers died in infancy and he became aware of his new role within the family.
Rebelled against his father and he often wrote about the struggle to overcome his father’s lack of approval
Metamorphosis- “a masterpiece of stunning psychological, sociological and existential angst.”
5. Background Suffered from tuberculosis, clinical depression, social anxiety, migraines, insomnia and constipation all brought on by stress.
Ill health important behind the fear of physical and mental collapse
Requested that all his manuscripts be destroyed after his death
6. Understanding the literary criticism
7. “The Devil Wears Prada”