ISLAND GLADES GOSPEL CENTRE THE LOCAL CHURCH – PART 1 INTRODUCTION: THE CHURCH. I. THE CHURCH – what is it? Named after… a C ountry (England, Scotland, Rome or Penang), a C onviction (Reformed), a P erson (Luther, Wesley), a P olicy (Congregation, Independent),
I. THE CHURCH – what is it? Named after…
1. A Church is not a Physical Building with Central Headquarters, but a Spiritual Body with Christ as Head.
2. A Church is not an Organisation with a Membership and Few working, but an Organism with all Members Functioning.
3. A Church is not a Dictatorship insisting on Uniformity, but a Leadership inspiring Unity in Diversity.
4. A Church is not an Association of any special Clan but an Assembly of members worldwide from Pentecost to Parousia.
Col. 1:18; Eph. 1:22, 23
Eph. 4:15, 16
Eph. 4:8, 11-14 cf. 1-6
1. Its Origin:
a. Greek, Ekklesia
- From a verb klesis = "to call" and a preposition ek = "out" or "out of".
b. Thus, ekklesia = "an out-calling"; ekklesia occurs 116 times in 113 verses in the N.T.
Ct. The Rapture (Parousia) – an Up-calling!
That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it
a. Translated assembly (3 times; Acts 19:32, 39, 41) and church(es) (111 times).
b. Located: i. 1st occ. in N.T. - Mt. 16:18 => Universal Church
ii. 2nd occ. in N.T. - Mt. 18:17 => Local Church
iii. 3rd occ. in N.T. – 1st time in Acts 2:47
22 times in I Cor. and 9 times in II Cor. Hence, CHURCH TRUTHS in the Corinthians.
iv. 18 occ. in Rev. chs. 1-3; last occ. in 22:16
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches.
Cp. 3:22 - He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
1. As Distinct from Jews.
2. As Different from Gentiles.
3. As Defined by neither Jews nor Gentiles, Gal. 3:28 yet consisting of those from both groups who are: -
a. Spirit-drunk believers;I Cor. 12:13c; cf. Eph. 5:18
b. Spirit-baptizedbelievers;I Cor. 12:13a;
c. Spirit-indweltbelievers;I Cor. 3:16
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner stone;
you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church
In Ephesians Paul uses four figures to describe the church and its relationship to the Lord Jesus:
1. It is Mystical.
a. A Spiritual Building.Eph. 2:19-22
b. A Spiritual Body. Eph. 1:22, 23; 2:15-18
2. It is a Mystery.Eph. 3:3-6
a. Concealed in the Old Covenant. 3:5
b. Revealed in the New Covenant.3:7-11
3. It was Missed out by OT Prophets.I Pet1:10, 11
I Cor. 1:2Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called (to be) saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
Untothe church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours.
Cf. The Seven Churches in Asia:
Cf. the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi (Phil. 1:1).
a. A Person – I Cor. 1:12
Every one…saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided?
b.A Practice – 1:13b, 14
Were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
c. Or any other Party name. 1:13aIs Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?