Real-Life Networks:Collaboration network for film actorsPower-gridNeural network of worm: C. elegansWWW. This Research:Consider semantic networks:Do semantic networks have similar properties?What network model can predict these properties? . Path Lengths
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Small Worlds in Semantic Networks Mark Steyvers
3. Path Lengths & Clustering Watts & Strogatz ’98; Adamic ‘99; Albert, Jeong, & Barabasi, ‘99
4. Erdös-Réyni graphs
5. Path Lengths & Clustering compared with Erdös-Réyni graphs
6. Degree Distribution
7. Semantic Networks Associative Networks
8. Word Association Nelson et al. (1999)
9. WordNet George Miller and colleagues
10. Roget’s Thesaurus (1911)
11. Path-lengths & Clustering
12. Degree Distribution
13. Growing, Scale-Free Networks Barabasi & Albert ‘99
16. Degree vs. Age of Acquisition (rated)
17. Degree vs. Age of Acquisition (objective)
18. Conclusions Semantic networks have following global characteristics:
Short path lengths
Power law distribution of the degree of nodes
Growth model with preferential attachment describes global characteristics for several real-life networks.
Can we model memory disorders (e.g. semantic dementia) by deleting nodes and/or connections?
can small worlds also occur in featural representations?
19. Frequent words on shortest paths