®. Chapters 1-3. www.praytimer.org. The Bible study sessions help believers and unbelievers discover the source of effective prayer. Chapter One Following Christ in Biblical Prayer
Chapter OneFollowing Christ in Biblical Prayer
A personal relationship with Christ replaces all religious pretense. It transforms prayer from a ritual into communication with our Lord.
– We become justified (just) through Christ. People cannot earn their justification.
tell others about Christ.
A vibrant prayer life flows from a relationship with the Creator God through His Son Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit. His enemy, Satan, seeks to confuse and distort the biblical facts about prayer.
God has taken the initiative to communicate with His creation through prayer.
–“We ... enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus” (Heb. 10:19).
–“Through Him we have our access in one Spirit to the Father” (Eph. 2:18).
– Humans are made righteous only through Christ.
– Righteous prayer is effective (see Jas. 5:16).
– Righteousness is right behavior that comes from holiness.
– Without Jesus there is no righteousness. Without righteousness there is no effective prayer.
– Christians are “called according to His
purpose” (Rom. 8:28).
– Believers must come as Paul did (see 2
Cor. 12:10). What will we endure?
– Jesus wanted to be excused from the pain
of the cross, but He prayed “Your will be
done” because the salvation of humankind
required that sacrifice and pain
(see Matt. 26:42).
-- The work of the Holy Spirit is so crucial
that those outside of Christ have no hope
of effective prayer.
– Jesus warns believers that prayer must be more than mere external activity.
– Jesus rejects the misguided devotion of “meaningless repetition” (Matt. 6:7).
- We must acknowledge that our prayer flows from a life transformed by dependence on the grace and love of the Creator.
- We are often used by God to answer prayer
- And forgive us ... as we also have forgiven ...” Forgiveness for our sin only comes from Christ. So does the ability to forgive.
-“Do not Lead us into temptation.” The word for temptation in Matthew 6:13 is to test the believer’s strength, loyalty, and ability for service.
- Jesus tells us that access to God is only through the Son (see John 14:1-12).
Prayer is a gift to those who are in Christ. And even those who are in Christ must pray according to His will and teachings to have effective prayer. The only prayer God hears from an unbeliever is the prayer of repentance.
1.The conversion of lost people to a relationship with Jesus Christ.
2 Cor. 4:3-4).
2. Identification of and protection from Satan’s plan. theological foundations. Rationalism and intellectualism have undermined belief in a spiritual world. Secularism and humanism worship the idols of human achievement.
– Satan is the enemy. He is the evil one, a thief, and a murderer (see John 10:10).
– Satan cannot be trusted to direct (possession) or even influence our life.
– The enemy is Satan, not his followers Jn 3:16
3. Accepting responsibility for biblical
authority and activity.–Bible teaches all we need about spiritual
warfare. There is a difference in earthly realm
and heavenly realm warfare.
–Below are five biblical responsibilities for
spiritual warfare in the earthly realm.
Prayer: John 17:15, Luke 22:31-32, theological foundations. Rationalism and intellectualism have undermined belief in a spiritual world. Secularism and humanism worship the idols of human achievement.
The responsibility in warfare prayer is interceding for other people, not against Satan and his demons (see 1 Timothy 2:1-8)
The primary responsibility of believers involved in spiritual warfare is prayer. More prayer warriors are needed.
Resist, draw near: James 4:7-8. We must draw near to Jesus or we will lose. It is the knowledge and use of God’s Word that protects believers from Satan’s influence (see Eph. 6:17).
Anything that gives Satan a foothold in our lives can cause us to fall into sin, and sin destroys our testimony (see 1 John 3:7-12)
Lift up Jesus: John 12:31-32. theological foundations. Rationalism and intellectualism have undermined belief in a spiritual world. Secularism and humanism worship the idols of human achievement.Lifting Jesus up will draw people from Satan’s influence. It is easy to lift up a church or people instead of Jesus.
Work through local church: Matthew 18:18, Ephesians 3:10 Primary role of the church for support, protection, accountability, and direction. 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 includes “distinguishing of spirits.”
Error occurs easily without theological training or accountability.
Overcome strongholds with the power of the gospel theological foundations. Rationalism and intellectualism have undermined belief in a spiritual world. Secularism and humanism worship the idols of human achievement.
2 Corinthians 10:4: only place strongholds (fortresses) is used in the Bible. Paul explains in verse 5. Arguments that try to make individual will impregnable to God’s will. Believers do not have to discover and demolish vast levels of strongholds. We simply (but not easily) must take “every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.”
Five biblical principles are foundational to understanding and responding to warfare in the heavenly and earthly realms.
sovereignty (see Gen. 3; Matt. 4).
“sift” believers (see Job 1:6; Luke 22:31).
Do not let Satan’s accusations steal
– Matthew 12:22-29 shows what Jesus did and completed by binding the strong man.
Understanding and practicing biblical spiritual warfare is important in the postmodern culture.
Not everyone involved in the Spiritual Warfare Movement is familiar with all of its teachings and theological error.
Spiritual warfare ultimately is won or lost in the conversion of lost people to Jesus and discipling them through a local congregation.