SUBJECT AUTHORITY COOPERATIVE PROGRAM GUIDELINES SUBJECT AUTHORITY COOPERATIVE PROGRAM The Subject Authority Cooperative Program (SACO) was established to provide a means for libraries to submit subject headings and classification numbers to the Library of Congress. SACO: REQUIREMENTS
1. Participants should have access to the online Library of Congress authority files, both for name authorities and subject authorities.
2. Required documentation for subject headings:
Patterns should only be cited to substantiate:
1. A topic with an adjectival qualifier (to demonstrate that the heading in question has been analogously qualified and that the qualifier has been used )
2. When establishing a non-free-floating subdivision
3. When establishing a "... and ..." or "... in ..." headings or headings always constructed according to a standard pattern
4. When establishing a heading with a parenthetical qualifier