JOURNAL #1. What general traits do all arthropods share? List at least 5 common traits. PHYLUM ARTHROPODA. Kingdom Animalia. Phylum Arthropoda. Subphylum Chelicerata. Subphylum Crustacea Lobster Crab Shrimp Crayfish Barnacles Isopods. Class Merostomata Horseshoe crab.
1stAntennae- long; sense, feed, taste
2ndAntennules- short; sense, feed, taste
3rdMandibles- chewing & grinding
4th, - 6thmaxillae- small, hair-like; respiration, food handling, taste
7th, 8thmaxillipeds- larger than maxillae, food handling, taste
1. Scavengers & predators- eat other invertebrates, some plants
2. Foregut/stomach- enlarged part of stomach in cephalothorax;contains tooth-like structures (gastric teeth) for grinding food.
3. Digestive gland- secrete enzymes into stomach & store food.
4. Intestine- embedded in muscular abdomen.
1. Green glands- kidney-like organs located behind 2nd pair of antennae.
2. Renal pore- ammonia liquid waste released through this pore in front of head.
a. Kidney b. Green gland c. cheliped
a. Pleopods b. Chelipeds c. tweezers
a. Maxillipeds b. Mandibles c. telson
a. Scorpion b. Horseshoe crab c. tick
a. Pedipalps b. Spinnerets c. abdomen
DAILY QUIZ #1