Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Napoleon Forges an Empire Chapter 7, section 3
3. Objectives Explain how Napoleon Bonaparte came to power.
Summarize how Napoleon restored order in France.
Describe the extent and weaknesses of Napoleonís empire.
4. Napoleon Seizes Power
5. Early Life Napoleon Bonaparte
Born in Corsica
Attends military school
6. Hero of the Hour In 1795, Napoleon defeats royalist rebels attacking the national convention
Napoleon wins stunning victories in Italy, gaining popularity
News of his defeats in Egypt suppressed
7. Coup díEtat In November 1799, he carries out coup díetat-seizure of power
Napoleon defeats British, Russians, Austrians who join forces against him
8. Napoleon Rules France
9. Vote of Approval New construction is approved through plebiscite-vote of the people
10. Restoring Order at Home To fix economy, he sets up national banking system, efficient tax collection
Establishes lycees- government run public schools to train officials
11. Restoring Order Continued Signs concordat-agreement with pope restoring Catholicism in France
Creates Napoleonic code-uniform system of laws
12. Napoleon Crowned as Emperor In December 1804, Napoleon crowns himself emperor of France
13. The Emperor
14. Napoleon Creates an Empire
15. Loss of American Territories In 1801, Napoleon attempts to retake colony of Saint Dominigue but fails
Gives up on the Americas and concentrates on Europe
In 1803, Sells the Louisiana Territory to U.S. for $15 million.
17. Conquering Europe Britain, Russia, Austria, Sweden join forces against Napoleon
Napoleon crushes enemy forces in Several brilliant battles
Napoleon forces Austria, Russia, Sweden to sign peace treaties
18. The Battle of Trafalgar On 1805, British win Battle of Trafalgar-ensures British naval superiority
This defeat forces Napoleon to give up plan of invading Britain
Looks for another way to control Britain
19. The French Empire Napoleon Controls Europe except for Britain, Portugal, Sweden and Ottomans
Has puppet rulers in some countries, alliances with others
French Empire reaches largest extent from 1807 to 1812