Context Clues. Using Context Clues. When you come upon a word that is unknown, using the words around it can help you discover the meaning of the new word. This is called using context clues. Today you will test your ability to use this skill.
When you come upon a word that is unknown, using the words around it can help you discover the meaning of the new word. This is called using context clues. Today you will test your ability to use this skill.
Does bulging mean?
3. swelling out
Does celebration mean?
1. decorated cake
2. activities for a special event
3. to perform publicly
The knights, pawns, bishops, and other pieces were ready but he forgot the chessboard.
What is a chessboard?
1. The ends of a bed
2. gameboard used for playing chess
3. material used to build a hope chest
What does foolishness mean?
1. behavior that shows a lack of good sense
2. the act of drinking
By Saturday morning each week the cupboards are nearly bare so mom goes to the marketplace.
What is a marketplace?
1. a place to get an oil change
2. the medical center
3. location where goods are bought and sold
What does snickered mean?
1. laughed in a secretive, disrespectful way
2. walked away
3. failed to pay admission
The two captives prayed that the right spice could not be found to make this stew edible.
What is a spice?
1. a large cooking instrument
2. seasoning for food, made from plants
3. cooking oil
The bunnies made a vow to their friend the farmer to feed the chicks while he was away.
What does vow mean?
1. to tell a joke
2. to lie or be untruthful
3. solemn promise or pledge