James Campbell (Jim) Quick John and Judy Goolsby Distinguished Professor The University of Texas at Arlington. New Developments in Executive Health: John Goolsby and Personal Integrity. Recent Research and Best Practices in Occupational Health Psychology 19 August 2005
John and Judy Goolsby Distinguished Professor
The University of Texas at ArlingtonNew Developments in Executive Health:John Goolsby and Personal Integrity
Recent Research and Best Practices in Occupational Health Psychology
19 August 2005
113th APA Annual Convention
Donald A. Laird, Ph.D., Sci.D.
Every Executive His Own Psychologist
The paradox of self-reliance
- The appearance of independence
- Ainsworth and Bowlby’s APA Award-Winning research
- The health and security of interdependence
Executives to look at
- Lee Iacocca, Ford and Chrysler
- Gordon Forward, Chaparral Steel Company
- Joseph M. (Jody) Grant, Texas Capital Bank
James E. (Jim) Loehr
Executives and High Performance Athletes
Four Dimensions of Executive Health
1. Physical health
2. Psychological well-being
3. Spiritual vitality
4. Ethical character
Source: Jonathan D. Quick, Cary L. Cooper, Joanne H. Gavin, and James Campbell Quick. 2002. Executive Health: Building Self-Reliance for Challenging Times.
International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Volume 17, 182 – 216.
The Bad Guys (?)
The Good Guy (?)
The Clinton-Lewinski Scandal
How do we know ?
1. Rule-based Ethics – its about actions & behavior
2. Consequential Ethics – its about consequences
3. Virtue Ethics – its about intentions
President Theodore Roosevelt…
- “Bodily vigor is good,
and vigor of intellect is even better,
but far above both is character.”
- Positive virtues - the basis of a successful life
Sources: Theodore Roosevelt. 1900. Character & success.
“Foundations: Ideas to Build Your Life On” feature in The Outlook.
Robert Solomon…and Aristotle
The foundations of ethics and the good life
- Character and personal integrity
- The virtues
- Excellence…anger as an example
Business as a calling and a public service
The Four-Way Test (Rotary International)
1. Is it the truth?
2. Is it fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build good will and better friendships?
4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
Goolsby Leadership Academy
- Personal integrity and character
- Emotional competence
- Authentic leadership
Psychological testing and feedback
3. Self-Reliance Inventory
4. Emotional Competence Inventory
5. Authentic Leadership
- Sir William Osler, the great physician educator
(1849 - 1919)
- A medical student’s summary during Grand Rounds
“A typical neurotic.”
- Osler’s response…
“Funny, isn’t it, how they run the world.”
It does not have to be that way!