Elements of Software Configuration Management – Edward H. Bersoff. Presented by: Diala T. Gammoh eel6883 – Software Engineering II Dr. Damla Turgut. Agenda. Introduction SCM in Context
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Elements of Software Configuration Management – Edward H. Bersoff
Presented by: Diala T. Gammoh
eel6883 – Software Engineering II
Dr. Damla Turgut
- what went wrong and how we are going to correct it.
- dissecting the software development process.
- defining techniques by which it could be effectively managed.
1- Very few organizations have software design and development standards that compare in any way with hardware standards for detail and completeness
2- It takes a high level of software expertise to assess whether a software product meet prescribed standards.
3- Few buyer organizations have provided for or have developed the capability to impose and then monitor software endeavors on seller organizations.
4- Few organizations have been concerned over precisely defining the difference between QA and other product assurance discipline.
- The purpose is to cope with the software and its development.- Unlike QA which deals which the problem of a product adherence to a pre established standards, V&V deals with the issue of how well software fulfills functional and performance requirement and the assurance that specified requirements are indeed stated and interpreted correctly.
- Effective management of a system requires careful definition of its baseline components, changes to these components need to be defined.- A system baseline is like a snapshot of the aggregate of system components.- Updates to this baseline is like frames in a movie strip of the system life cycle.
- The role of software configuration identification in the SCM process is to provide labels for these snapshots and the movie strip.- A baseline can be characterized by two labels, one label for the baseline itself and the other label identifies the update to a particular baseline.- The most elementary entity in the software configuration identification is the software configuration item (SCI)
- From SCM perspective; a software baseline appears as a set of SCI’s.- The SCI’s within a baseline are related to one another via a tree like hierarchy.- As the software system evolves through its life cycle, the number of branches in this hierarchy generally increases.- The first baseline may consist of no more than one SCI.
1- Documentation: administrative forms, supporting technical and administrative material.2- Configuration Control Board (CCB): organizational body for formally evaluating and approving or disapproving a proposed change to the system.3- Procedures for controlling changes to a software system.
- There are automation for other functions such as library access control, software and documentation version maintenance, change recording, and document reconstruction.- These capabilities are available in systems such as SOFTTOOL’s change and configuration control environment.