The Prevalence of Five Major Causes of Low Vision in Ahmedabad Population and their Respective Management with Residual Visual Function. By Dadhija Paritoshbhai Dave Study Project for B.Optometry. AIM.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Study Project for B.Optometry
History and Eye Examination
Low Vision Aids
Non-Optical Devices Ahmedabad Population and their Respective Management with Residual Visual Function
Refractive Error associated with Amblyopia , Macular Dystrophy, Diabetic Retinopathy, Glaucoma,
Retinopathy of Prematurity and Retinal Detachment
This study presents five major causes of Low Vision in Ahmedabad Population.According to this study which was carried out in 350 Patients , 248 Patients (70.86%) were males.The major causes in Ahmedabad Population are :
According to the study done by Mr.S.A.Khan in 450 Patients in Southern India , the leading causes were :
As per study of Mr.S.A.Khan , 72% of Patients were males. Similarly in this study the maximum patients that is 70.86% were males.
According to study of Mr.S.A Khan , Retinitis Pigmentosa was major cause with 19% where as in this study Retinitis Pigmentosa was third major cause with 17.43%.
As per study of Mr.S.A.Khan Myopic Degeneration was the fourth major cause in Southern India same as Myopic Degeneration is the fourth Major Cause in the Ahmedabad Population
But Diabetic Retionpathy and Macular Diseases are not the major causes in Ahmedabad Population where as they were one of the major causes in southern India as per study of Mr.S.A.Khan
According to study of in Southern India , the leading causes were :Dandona R., the study which was carried out in Southern part of India that is Andhra Pradesh ,
This study was performed on 144 Patients.
Relating this study to our , we found that the Optic Atrophy which was third major causes in Andhra Pradesh which constituted to 14.30% , was the Second major cause in Ahmedabad Population with 19.42%.
R.Dandona studied that 11.04% people of Andhra Pradesh were having Glaucoma as there Low Vision Disorder which contributed to fourth major cause.However in this study , Glaucoma was not found to major cause of Low Vision.
Similarly Refractive Error and Amblyopia were not the major causes in Ahmedabad Population.
Microcornea which is one of the Corneal Dystrophy , associated with Microphthalmia , Retinal Coloboma and Nystagmus was the most leading cause in Ahmedabad Population.In Study of Dandona R different types of Corneal Diseases formed 8.60%.
HB Thapa , S.Gurung , A.Sherchan , AS Karthikeyan and RP Kandel studied that the leading causes of Low Vision were :
This study was carried out in 166 Nepali Patients.Out of these , 70% of Patients were males
According to our study , 70.86% Patients were males out of 350 patients which is similar to study of HB Thapa and group which has 70% Patients as males.
In study of HB Thapa and Group Lens Related Causes was major cause with 35.55% whereas in Ahmedabad Population that is not the Major Cause.Similarly in study by Dandona R and S.A.Khan , Lens Related Causes were not Major Causes.
Refractive Error contributes to second major cause in Nepal with 19.23% but in Ahmedabad Population it was not major cause.
Retitinis Pigmentosa was third major cause with 10.84% in Nepal.Similarly in Ahmedabad Population it was third major cause with 17.43%.However in study of Mr.S.A.Khan , Retinitis Pigmentosa was the most major cause with 19%.
Corneal Pathologies contributed to fifth major cause in Nepal Population with 7.24%.Similarly in study of Dandona R , Corneal Diseases was fifth major cause with 8.60%.However in Ahmedabad Population Microcornea which is one of the Corneal Dystrophy , associated with Microphthalmia , Retinal Coloboma and Nystagmus was the most leading cause with 22.57% in Ahmedabad Population.
Albinism was found in very less people in Nepal as reason for causing low vision but in Ahmedabad Population it is the fifth leading cause of Low Vision with 6.29%
As per study by HB Thapa , S.Gurung , A.Sherchan , AS Karthikeyan and RP Kandel , Training was advised in 6.02% Patients , Near Magnification was given in 54.23% Patients , Spectacles as per Refraction were advised in 19.27% Patients , Distance Devices were given in 20.48% Patients.However, as per our study Training was advised in 32.86% Patients, Near Magnification was given in 24.57% Patients, Spectacles as per Refraction were advised in 18.57% Patients, Distance Devices were given in 16.29% Patients and Near and Distance Devices were advised in 7.71%.
This shows that severity of Low Vision was more in Ahmedabad Population as compared to Nepal Population
By this study we conclude the Five Major Causes of Low Vision in Ahmedabad Population and their respective management gives better lifestyle to low vision patient with their residual visual function.
3. World Health Organization 1997 http://www.who.int/blindness/causes/priority/en/index5.html
4. A.K.Khurana Comprehensive Ophthalmology Fourth Edition
5. World Health Organization 2006 , Retrived December 16 2006 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindness
6. World Health Organization Fact Sheet Number 282 June 2012 http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs282/en/
7. AO Oduntan Prevalence and Causes of Low Vision Worldwide S AfrOptom 2005;64:44-54
8. S.A.Khan To obtain data on the characteristics and causes of low-vision patients seen at a tertiary eye care hospital in India. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 2000;48:201-207
9. Dandona R, Dandona L, Srinivas M, Giridhar P, Nutheti R, Rao GN .To assess the prevalence and causes of low vision in a population in southern India for planning low vision services. International Centre for Advancement of Rural Eye Care, L. V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12359608
10. HB Nepal Population with 7.24%.Similarly in study of Dandona R , Corneal Diseases was fifth major cause with 8.60%.However in Ahmedabad Population Microcornea which is one of the Corneal Dystrophy , associated with Microphthalmia , Retinal Coloboma and Nystagmus was the most leading cause with 22.57% in Ahmedabad Population.Thapa, S Gurung, A Sherchan, AS Karthikeyan, RP Kandel Hospital based study on causes of low vision and patient preference for different types of low vision devices Journal of Institute of Medicine 2007;29:2
11. Shah SP, Minto H, Jadoon Z, on behalf of the Pakistan National Eye Survey Study Groupet al. Prevalence and causes of functional low vision and implications for services: The Pakistan National Blindness and Visual Impairment Survey.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:887–893.
12. Negrel AD, Maul E, Pokharel GP, Zhao J, Ellwein LB. Refractive Error Study in Children: sampling and measurement methods for a multi-country survey.Am J Ophthalmol. 200;129:421–426.
13. Pokharel GP, Negrel AD, Munoz SR, Ellwein LB. Refractive Error Study in Children: results from Mechi Zone, Nepal.Am J Ophthalmol. 2000;129:436–444.
14. Gilbert C, Rahi J, Quinn G. Visual impairment and blindness in children. Johnson G Minassian D Weale R West S eds.Epidemiology of Eye Disease.2003; 2nd ed. Edward Arnold Ltd. London. chap 16
Previous Glass Prescription
Sphcyl axis VA
Unaided Vision :
Objective Refraction: ( ________________________________________________________Retinoscopy)
THANK YOU Required