Review. Who is Europa? What was the success of the Minoans? According to some frescoes, what was the role of women in Minoan society? What is Homer credited with writing?. aristocracy. Frescoes. Democracy. straits. phalanx. oligarchy.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
(b) Solon - Greek leader who brought greater equality to citizens and freed debt slaves
(c) Cleisthenes - set up council of 500, chosen by lot
(d) Zeus - most powerful Greek god
2. (a) polis - city (b) acropolis - city on a hill (c) monarchy - rule by king (d) aristocracy - land-owning elite (e) oligarchy - rule by a small aristocracy (f) phalanx – formation of heavily armed foot soldiers (g) helot – state-owned slaves (h) democracy – government by the people (i) tyrant – someone who gains power by force (j) legislature – law-making body
3. Geography influenced Greece in that mountain ranges prevented unification of city-states and made communication slower
4. a)Wealthy landowners gained power because they could afford weapons (b) the phalanx affected Greek society because it equalized status among those in the formation
5. Spartans – education focused on war and military training; Athens – education focused on music, arts, poetry, oration (public speaking)
6. Religion, language, geography helped tied the Greek city-states
7. Greek democracy was limited from women, poor, slaves, foreigners
8. Greek superiority strengthened society in war because it gave them confidence but it weakened society because it prevented them from learning from other cultures.
Trojans in Troy
-outlawed debt slavery
-expanded Athenian assembly
- gave land and loans to farmers
- formed 500 member council and made assembly a “legislature”
EQ: How was Greek democracy different from ours today?
Constitution Day EQ
Read page 108 - 109, Primary Source sidebar