Resilience to Climate Change. Overview of Module 4.1:. Definition of Resilience Resilience, Adaptive Capacity, and Coping Capacity Resilience as a Climate Change Adaptation Goal. Defining “Resilience”.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Definition of Resilience
Resilience, Adaptive Capacity, and Coping Capacity
Resilience as a Climate Change Adaptation Goal
“RESILIENCE” is often LOOSELY DEFINED and APPLIED, and interpretations of resilience VARY among academic institutions and practitioners.
COMMUNITY RESILIENCE is the CAPACITY of a community to ADAPT to and INFLUENCE the course of environmental, social, and economic CHANGE.
Social-Ecological Systems – networks of built, natural and human resources that provide important services or activities within a community
• REDUNDANCY - ensure that failure of one component does not cause the entire system to fail
• DIVERSITY - multiple components versus a central node to protect against a site specific threat
• EFFICIENCY- positive ratio of energy supplied to energy delivered by a dynamic system
• AUTONOMY - capability to operate independent of outside control
• STRENGTH - power to resist a hazard force or attack
• INTERDEPENDENCE- integrated system components to support each other
• ADAPTABILITY - capacity to learn from experience and the flexibility to change
• COLLABORATION - multiple opportunities and incentives for broad stakeholder participation (Godschalk 2003)
is the flip side of
If we focus on needs and vulnerabilities, we remain locked in the logic of repetitive responses that fail to nurture the capacities for resilience contained deep within every community. (IFRC 2004)
Does your area have population growth issues in high-hazard areas? What hazards are you dealing with?