Surat Al- Masad. The Palm Fiber. تَبَّتْ يَدَا أَبِي لَهَبٍ وَتَبَّ (1) 1. Perish the two hands of Abu Lahab (an uncle of the Prophet), and perish he! مَا أَغْنَى عَنْهُ مَالُهُ وَمَا كَسَبَ (2) 2. His wealth and his children (etc.) will not benefit him!
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The Palm Fiber
تَبَّتْ يَدَا أَبِي لَهَبٍ وَتَبَّ (1)
مَا أَغْنَى عَنْهُ مَالُهُ وَمَا كَسَبَ (2)
سَيَصْلَى نَارًا ذَاتَ لَهَبٍ (3)
وَامْرَأَتُهُ حَمَّالَةَ الْحَطَبِ (4)
فِي جِيدِهَا حَبْلٌ مِّن مَّسَدٍ (5)
5. In her neck is a twisted rope of Masad (palm fibre).
1) (المسد): From the last word in the Sura.
2) (تبت): Some Scholars give it this name. (as in many copies of Qura’an)
The reason of its revelation:
* Surat Al-Kafiroon: is talking about the disbelievers and what they worship.
Surat An-Nasr: is talking about Muslim’s victory upon disbelievers.
Then Surat Al-Masad, was talking about disbelievers’ recompense and their loss (Abu Lahab and his wife are examples of the disbelievers who harmed ( Prophet Mohammad () and Muslims), refused accepting Islam and prevented others to follow Prophet Mohammad .
→ everyone disbelieve in Allah , or fights our Prophet (refuses following him) will be punished in this life and in the Hereafter.
* In Surat An-Nasr there is a worldly victory, but in Surat Al-Masad the victory is in the Hereafter.
* Abu Lahab and Om Jamil (his wife) used to harm Prophet Mohammad .
1) When Abu Hashim tribe decided to protect Prophet Mohammad , Abu Lahab allied with Quraish.
2) His two sons were husbands for Prophet Mohammad’s daughters (Ruqayah and Um Kalthoum) before comissionProphethood, but afterward he ordered them to divorce their wives.
3) Abu Lahab’s house was beside Prophet Mohammad’s house, so his wife used to put thorns, wood and dirt in front of his door .
- Mujahid and `Urwah both said, "From the palm fiber of the Fire.''
- Al-`Awfi narrated from Ibn `Abbas, `Atiyah Al-Jadali, Ad-Dahhak and IbnZayd that: She used to place thorns in the path of the Messenger of Allah ().
- Al-Jawhari said, "Al-Masad refers to fibers, it is also a rope made from fibers or palm leaves. It is also made from the skins of camels or their furs.'‘
- Mujahid said, (In her neck is a twisted rope of Masad.) "This means a collar of iron.'' Don't you see that the Arabs call a pulley cable a Masad.
When Om Jamil heard this Sura, she became angry (from the words of this Sura and from the rhythm). The sound of Surat Al-Masad is intensive (i.e. tightning loads of wood, pulling her neck in a rope of fire). (strong impact on the hearing)
→ It comes with the nature of this Sura and also with the reason of its revelation.
1) The recompense for the deed is of the same nature of the deed:
a) Om Jamil used to bear thorns and wood to put it in the way of Prophet Mohammad till his feet been injured so she will bear the same in the Hellfire and she will throw it on her husband to burn him and she will be burnt also with it. What a shame feeling; she will participate in burning her loving husband whom she used to follow in this life (she will share with him the suffering in the Hellfire).
b) It’s been said that Om Jamil had an expensive necklace, she sold it and paid its cost in Harming Prophet Mohammad .
→ she will be punished in her neck.
So take care, don’t try to help anyone in disobeying Allah, the same as those who help smokers by giving them lighters (flame their cigarettes).
2) In this Sura there is a miracle and strong proof of the Prophecy. This Sura has been revealed ten years before the death of Abu Lahab death and in spite of that, he didn’t become a Muslim. Though, he would say: Mohammad’s God said: I will be in the Hellfire, but I will become a Muslim to show you that this religion (Islam) is not a correct religion, but he didn’t , and he died on shirk, the same as what Allah (), and His Prophet told us.
( We should take him as our example).
4) Relatives, money and all what we have will never benefit us if we are from the dwellers of the Hellfire.
→ Abu Lahab was our Prophet’s uncle and that didn’t avail him in the least against the will of Allah. So don’t be deceived with what you have in this life the same as Allah said about Abu Lahab that: ما أغنى عنه ماله وما كسب
5) وامرأته حمالة الحطب: The woman who is helping her husband in his bad deeds, sins and shirk, she will share him also in his punishment in the Hellfire. Compare this with Khadija, when she prepared a quite, relieved home for her husband prophet Mohammad , Allah give her the glad tiding in a house in Paradise as in this Hadith:
Aishah () said: “I did not envy any woman as I envied Khadijah and the Messenger of Allah did not marry me except after she had died that was because the Messenger of Allah gave her glad tidings of a house in Paradise made of Qasab, without clamoring nor discomforts in it.” (Sahih).
[Abu Eisa said:] This Hadith is HasanSahih. [Of Qasab, he said pearl is what is meant by Qasab
→ Wives have influence on their husbands.
6) Abu Lahab and his wife are examples (lessons) for every one:
a) Who opposes what Allah revealed upon His Prophet and follows his vain desires.
b) Who hold fast their false doctrines, their excuse is: we get used to believe in.
c) Who is deceived with wealth or properties that he has or his status in other’s hearts → Nothing with committing sins will protect him from Hellfire except his repentance and good deeds.
** [ The word Lahab came the same as his name].
** [The description of Um Jamil is( حمالة الحطب ) The same as her works.]