STEM Graduate Schools: To Be or Not To Be. SCS STEM Webinar series. Presenter: Kyra Young SCS Program Coordinator. How to Participate in the Webinar.
STEM Graduate Schools:To Be or Not To Be
SCS STEM Webinar series
SCS Program Coordinator
1) Chat & Questions. If you do NOT have access to a micand do not call in with a phone, you can use the Questions feature to type a question that you want to ask to the presenters. At the end of the presentation, the facilitator will read out loud any questions that come through this feature.
2) Raise Hand. For most of the webinar, all participants will be in listen-only mode, meaning that they will be muted. When the presenter opens the floor for questions, people will not be unmuted unless they use the Raise Hand function.
3) Surveys.After the webinar ends, a link will be emailed to you to participate in a survey. We encourage ALL participants to participate.
Call or visit STEM Schools/Programs and ASK
Across all levels, across the country
Negotiation – geographic diversity, financial aid, facing challenges
Apply to all UCs & big out-of-state schools
Paper-based and computer-administered test available
1) Verbal [V], 2) Quantitative [Q], and 3) Analytical Writing [AW]
Online Sources: The Princeton Review, ETS Testing
Available Subject Test include:
i.e. Princeton Review (SCS discount), Kaplan, Benchprep
Practice makes perfect!!!
#1 Question of Graduate School Admissions Committee:
Does this person have the potential to conduct scientific research?
If CV (Curriculum Vitae), follow standard academic format (online)
* Research, published or unpublished , is one of the most important aspects of your application.
Why are you applying to STEMschool?
Why did you choose this program?
What are your career goals?
How would you make a contribution to this program?
If true: my top choice, more extracurricular activities, other awards/ achievements since applying
Online STEM Resources:
STEM Education Coalition - http://www.stemedcoalition.org/
Emerging Resources National Conference in STEM - http://www.emerging-researchers.org/
Research Opportunities & Aid:
National Science Foundation (NSF) - http://www.nsf.gov/
Journal of STEM Education - http://ojs.jstem.org/index.php?journal=JSTEM
Global Research Council (GRC) - http://www.globalresearchcouncil.org/
Please visit your Career Centers, STEM Departments, and reach out to your Academic Counselors, mentors, and graduate students for further opportunities.