LB145 Sec 001-004. Today’s Outline. HAND IN StudyNotes – front of classroom. Homework Assignment due on Tuesday. Create a Classroom Code of Conduct. Protein review. Lipids + Membranes A human experiment Membrane transport. What is a protein?. What do proteins do?.
Campbell 8e, Fig. 5.15
Campbell 8e, Fig. 5.13b
Campbell 8e, Fig. 5.13
The individual phospholipid molecules in lipid bilayer membranes are in constant motion
Membranes are dynamic structures
The Role of Steroids
Which is true?
Which of the following statements about unsaturated fat is true?
A human experiment…
Transmembrane proteins are imperative for cellular transport.
Carrier proteins or transporters
Passive facilitated processes
Active facilitated process
Hydrophilic interior chains…
Gated Channels chains…
Potassium ions enter
Positive charge triggers channel to open.
Molecules can be transported againstan electrochemical concentration gradient.
This requires energy.
Small, non-polar, uncharged
This homework is worth 5 points. Once you hand it in, you will be asked to evaluate someone else’s homework – the quality of your evaluation will be worth an additional 2 points. All point-determinations will be made by the teaching team.
- Use a word-processor (12 pt. font) for your responses.
- You MUST upload a copy of your homework to the Angel TurnItInDropbox folder.
- DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME ON THIS ASSIGNMENT.
- When you upload your assignment to the Angel TurnItInDropbox folder it should have no identifying marks.
- When you bring a copy to hand in at class on January 15th (12:40pm), you should identify yourself using ONLY the last four digits of your PID #. If your name is on the assignment it will not be accepted.
Compare and contrast simple diffusion, facilitated diffusion, and active transport across a biological lipid bilayer membrane.
- Define each process as applied to a biological lipid bilayer membrane.
- Provide a specific example of each process as applied to a biological lipid bilayer membrane.
- Describe each example (what’s going on? how does it work?).
REMEMBER – It’s OK to discuss ideas with friends, but YOU MUST TURN IN YOUR OWN UNIQUE WORK!!!