Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
ESTABLISHMENT AND OPERATION OF NATIONAL APELL CENTRE IN NSC, INDIA K.C. GUPTA DIRECTOR GENERAL, NSC & DIRECTOR, NAC. BACKGROUND The project started in May 2002 Builds upon the foundation laid by successful implementation of APELL-LAMP & TRANS-APELL Projects by NSC for a decade.
DIRECTOR GENERAL, NSC &
Status on different aspects of emergency preparedness needs to be assessed, issues identified and services/activities developed through intensive consultations with ad-hoc groups put in place for specific purposes and key industry and govt. executive.
The consultation meetings and workshops held for this purpose are listed in Annexure I.
Consultation Meetings and Workshops Held for Developing NAC Services
1. Mr. Hermann van der Laan, Director, ILO April 13, 2003
2. Mr. Klauz Toepfer, Executive Director, Mr. Nirmal Andrews, R.D & Representative May 1, 2002
of Regional Office for Asia & Pacific, Bangkok & Mr. Vijay Sharma, Special Adviser to ED, Nairobi of UNEP
3 Mr. K.C. Mishra, Special Secretary, MoEF, GoI Sept. 4, 2002
4. Mr. P.Jayakrishnan, Secretary, MOEF, GoI Apr. 12, 2002
5. Mr. Ashok Khot, Principal Secretary (Labour) and Member Secretary, SCG, Govt. Nov. 29, 2002
6. Mr. K.P. Nyati, Head, Environment Management Div., Confederation of Indian May 13, 2002
Industry, New Delhi
7. Mr. R.G. Iyer, Sr. Manager, Business Development and Mr. A.K. Moza, Manager Aug. 21, 2002
(Safety), HIKAL Ltd., Navi Mumbai
8. Mr.S.C.Hiremath, Chairman & Chief Executive, Heavy Water Board (HWB),Mumbai Aug. 24, 2002
9. Mr. W.S.A. Kanthiah,, General Manager, HWB, Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu Aug. 29, 2002
10. Mr. Divyendu Pundhir, Div. Mgr. & Mr. S. Nadgauda, Sr. Sales Co-ordinator, July 2, 2002
3M India Ltd., Bangalore
11. Mr. R.A. Morris, Business Development Manager, OHES, 3M Asia Pacific Pte.Ltd. Sept. 6, 2002
12. Mr. Lothe, Chief Engineer and Mr. Keith D. Tait, Asstt.Director, Pfizer Ltd., Sept. 16, 2002
13. Roha Industries Association, Roha, Dist. Raigad Aug. 13, 2002
14. Citizens\' Group of Vasco, Goa Sept. 7, 2002
1. Assessment of Status of CEPPR (Sept. 13, 2002) 31 participants from Senior Officials of Directorate of Industrial Safety & Health (DISH) Govt.of Maharashtra and Mutual Aid Response Group
2. Assessment of First Responders Programme 19 participants from Senior Officials from Developed by 3M Corp., USA (Oct.4, 2002) Traffic Police, Fire Brigade and Industry Associations
3. Identify specific areas of Collaboration 6 Senior Officials including Chairman of HWB
(Oct. 21, 2002)
International collaboration with UNEP DTIE and access to the International APELL Partners are unique strengths of this project.
International inputs by way of training for the professionals of NAC and host and other organisations involved in the project is required for developing protocols as per the best international practices.
Feedback, Reports &Seeking Information
NAC Services/ Activities
Policy &Resource Mobilisation
Activity SpecificAdhoc Groups
Experts on Assignment
STRATEGY FOR COMMUNITY AWARENESS ON HAZMAT
1. Held 14 consultation meetings and 3 workshops (Annexure-I).
2. Started NAC Newsletter. Published and distributed two issues (7000 copies each).
3. Developed and Published strategy on Community Awareness on HAZMAT (Annexure -III)
4. Developed conducted need based one day Workshop on “HAZMAT Response by Traffic Police to Road Accidents Involving Dangerous Goods” for Senior Highway Traffic Police Officers, Maharashtra State (Annex. - IV).
5. Set up the Advisory Committee.
6. Set up a Technical Consultative Group.
7. Negotiation for collaboration with Heavy Water Board at advanced stage
8. Engaged two experts on Assignment i) Mr. A.K. Gupta, Mumbai &ii) Mr. K.M. Amanulla, Kochi (Kerala)
9. Mobilised Financial Support from :
i) M/s. HIKAL Ltd., Navi Mumbai - Second Issue of NAC Newsletter
ii) M/s. Bharat Petroleum - Agreed to sponsor two workshops
Corporation Limited, i) Maharashtra State Crisis
Mumbai Group: Half day ii) Mumbai Suburban District Crisis Group: 2-day
10. Propagation of NAC Project
a) Made Presentations in
i) Conference on ‘Disaster Prevention & Management Centre\' organised by ICMA & DPM Centre at Ankleshwar, Gujarat (Aug. 13, 2002)
ii) Workshop on “Awareness in Chemical Emergency” organised by Chembur-Mahul MARG and DISH at Mumbai (Nov. 26, 2002)
iii) National Seminar on Transportation of Hazardous Goods organised by Loss Prevention Association of India Ltd., at Mumbai ( Feb. 25, 2003)
iv) Held 4 seminars in collaboration with British Safety Council at Mumbai (Feb. 17, 2003), Delhi (Feb.21, 2003), Kolkata ( Feb. 27, 2003) and Chennai ( Mar.03, 2003)
b) Letters to CIF\'s of all States suggesting to use the National Safety Day/Week campaign as a vehicle for propagating Community Awareness using APELL Model.
11. Ground work in progress for two Demonstration Projects ( Tuticorin in Tamil Nadu and Chembur in Maharashtra).
Training, Standard Protocols and Quality Controls
NAC Sub-centres - Region wise
Users (APELL Stake holders)
Paying and Non-paying