CHAPTER 8 PRESENTATION Period 5. What have you learned?. What is debt peonage? -A system that bound laborers to work for the debt of the employer. In what year did the supreme court declare involuntary peonage a violation of the 13 th Amendment? -1911
-A system that bound laborers to work for the debt of the employer.
-The late 1800’s
Q. Who inspired the engineering science of urban planning?
A. John Augustus Roebling
A. Fredrick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux
A. Chicago’s 1893 Worlds Columbian Exposition
A: About 85 million.
2. Q: Which 2 companies first brought retail merchandising to small towns?
A: Montegomery Ward and Sears
3. Q: The RFD system brought packages directly to every:
a. store b. home c. market
d. community center e. hotel
A: b. home
1890, Cleveland, Ohio
1. Where and when was the first shopping center created?
2. Who developed the first department store? And when was It created?
Marshall field, 1865
3. Who founded the first chain store, and when was it created?
F.W. Woolworth, 1870
4. What College University is the BEST???
YOU KNOW IT!!!! Texas A&M! Go AGGIES!
5. Where did modern tennis originated?
1. Where was the first Ferris wheel unveiled?
The World’s Columbian Exposition
2. What was the first bicycle called to feature air-inflated tires?
The Victor Safety Bicycle
3. In what year were 10 million bicycles produced?
4. Who believed bicycling helped women gain manyfreedoms?
Susan B. Anthony
How much did George Eastman’s first camera cost?
What was one effect of photo explosion?
A. Photojournalism was created
B. First successful flight was caught on camera
C. Cameras were now easy and cheap to use.
D. All of the above
What year was the first Kodak camera introduced?
A. Moby Dick
B. Deadwood Dick
C. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
D. The Adventures of Super Man
D. Paul’s mom
Society still considers African Americans a second class citizen due to the Reconstruction that went on previously.
2. Why did Catholics resent the suppression of their native languages in favor of English?
Because public school systems had mandatory readings of the Protestant King James version of the Bible.
3. Why did adult immigrants feel the need to attend night school?
Because they wanted to learn English and qualify for American citizenship.
1. Who was the first African American to graduate from Harvard University?
3. How many African Americans attended college in 1990?
5. What percent of Americans attended college in the late 1800’s?
4. What was needed to enter any college or university?
2. Who founded the Tuskegee University?
4. High school diploma or entrance exams
1. W.E.B Du Bois
What were two popular spectator sports?
Who organized the first baseball club in New York City?
Where did people go to listen to boxing matches?
Who won the first World Series held in 1903?
Who founded the Negro Leagues in 1920?
Which two main factors enabled architects to design taller buildings?
What became Americas greatest contribution to architecture?
Elevators, and internal steel skeleton
Which city became the first American city to electrify its urban transit?
What kind of headline does the Americans use?
a. sad b. angry c. sensational Answer
Where was Joseph Pulitzer from and what did he buy?
a. France, G35 Coupe b. Denmark, land
c. Indian, Women d. Hungary, New York World
D. Hungary, New York World
What did William Randolph Hearst not use in his newspaper?
a. cruelty b. pornography
c. hypnotism d. imaginary conquest of mars
Who started the Ashcan School of American Art
a. George Washington b. Robert Henri
c. Eminem d. Danish
B. Robert Henri