ILC Positron TDR and R&D
Download
1 / 15

J. C. Sheppard SLAC September 29, 2006 - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 103 Views
  • Uploaded on

ILC Positron TDR and R&D Collaboration Meeting 1: Oxford Summary Discussion and Meeting Critique Discussions 9 and 10. J. C. Sheppard SLAC September 29, 2006. Discussion 9: Z2 Summary. ILC Positron System Design and R&D Goals in Support of the TDR.

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about ' J. C. Sheppard SLAC September 29, 2006' - nowles


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

ILC Positron TDR and R&D Collaboration Meeting 1: OxfordSummary Discussion and Meeting CritiqueDiscussions 9 and 10

J. C. Sheppard

SLAC

September 29, 2006

1


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

ILC Positron System Design and R&D Goals in Support of the TDR

Z2: Meeting Summary Discussion: Action Items

Z3: Meeting Format Discussion:

What Works

What Does Not Work

What Do We Do Differently

2


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

ILC Positron System Design and R&D Goals in Support of the TDR

Topic leaders will write a short summary for each meeting with an emphasis on accomplishments and action items: ~One Page

The meeting chair is responsible for collecting the topical summaries and writing an overall summary of progress and expected goals by the time of the next meeting.

3


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

  • Topic Action Items:

  • Target Systems Ian Bailey/Tom Piggott

  • Looking to urgently prototype target wheel in UK. No one else currently requesting funding.

    • Test first prototype baseline target at DL in Summer 2007.

    • LLNL, Liverpool, DL to present p’type drawings at Feb ’07 meeting.

    • Estimate force on wheel from pulsed OMD. Jeff to coordinate.

    • Specify how prototyping plans depend on outcome of OMD studies.

  • RAL/DL report on impact of remote-handling strategies (see target hall session) on target design at Feb ’07 meeting.

  • Number of R&D cycles, milestones and timeline will be agreed by main participants by Dec ’06. John S to coordinate.

  • RAL/Liverpool to investigate materials for the target rim and provide material spec sheets for Feb ’07 meeting. Ian will coordinate.

  • Viability of beam windows (eg between target and accelerating cavity) needs to be definitively investigated. Plan needs to be in place by Dec’06. Vinod will coordinate.

  • Viability of liquid metal target depends on proven design of suitable beam window .

    • Cornell may wish to report on this issue at the Feb ’07 meeting.

4


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

  • Topic Action Items:

  • OMD Jeff Gronberg

  • Need to answer question of immersion effects in order to make OMD choice: need simulation benchmarked with experiment

  • For SC solenoid need to understand radiation, power depo conditions and rad damage (simulation)

  • For pulsed OMD need development plan

  • Investigate range of zero field on target OMDs (MK at KEK)

  • Report results and plans of spinning wheel experiments at Feb meeting

5


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

  • Topic Action Items:

  • Capture RF Juwen Wang

  • Progress.

  • Five-cell L-Band SW test structure for capture section is under fabrication. Almost all parts and subassemblies are either done or in process. Still a lot of work need to be done in order to complete the final assembly by the end of 2006 or the beginning of 2007.

  • All of five sets of parts for L-Band RF windows are in hands. A completed window is under cold test.

  • Five vacuum flanges for test structures and Couplers have been completed.

  • 2. In order to have a solid design for both positron and electron sources, we should fund a R&D program for L-Band TW structures.

  • There are many challenges in both electrical, mechanical designs as well as fabrication aspects:

  • They are long, the balanced cooling and pumping systems needs to be carefully studied and inductive brazing technique needs to be practiced at SLAC.

  • They have low group velocity (as low as 0.16%c), the impact of big transient effects needs to be investigated and tested.

  • They work at long beam pulses (1 ms), the operational stabilization needs to be studied and tested.

6


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

  • Topic Action Items:

  • Target Hall Vinod Bharadwaj

  • More activation/damage calculations

  • Identify what numbers are needed from the calculations

  • Figure how to do the simulation – which program(s) etc.

    • identify people to do the simulations

  • include detailed layout of hardware:

  • OMD, SW RF, TW RF, solenoids, shielding

  • Define target hall dimension requirements

  • target hall occupancy needs

  • needed shielding

  • what is in the hall and what is on the surface

  • scenarios for all the needed repair/replacement operations

  • KAS target hall

  • Does ILC plan to have a central hot cell facility?

  • e+ , dumps etc.

  • will it be useful for the positron stuff

  • Re-visit two/one target requirement (availability, R&R time,……)

7


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

  • Topic Action Items:

  • Undulator Scheme Jim Clarke

  • Two sets of conflicting undulator parameters are proposed – ‘high K’ and ‘low K’. This should be resolved as a priority. Start to end simulations carried out with a benchmarked code are needed from the entrance of the undulator to after the positron capture section to understand the differences. Results to be reviewed at the next meeting.

  • In the meantime the UK undulator parameters are adopted as the baseline. Period = 11.5mm, beam aperture = 5.85mm, Kx = Ky = 0.92.

  • UK to prototype 4 m module in calendar 2007. Beam test plan should be reviewed at the next meeting.

  • Need magnetic measurements plan for the long prototypes

  • UK group to review 80% design margin by Feb 07.

8


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

Topic Action Items:

F. Laser-Compton Scheme Masao Kuriki

Develop full design which is compatible with current ILC design:

  • full source accelerator design: OMD, rf, yield calcs

  • Simulation of compton ring dynamics, incl nonlinear beam dynamics

  • Simulation of e+ stacking in the ILC DR.

    Optical cavity and laser experiments

    „Schedule“ for compton scheme development, now thru completion: how to we get from here to there

9


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

  • Topic Action Items:

  • Conventional Scheme Bharadwaj/Sheppard

  • nothing to report

10


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

  • Topic Action Items:

  • Accelerator Physics Gudi Moortgat-Pick

  • Collect into a single report dilution and depolarization studies; what additional issues?

  • Propose how to do commissioning w/o Keep Alive Source

  • Start-to-end tracking w/ spin tracking, schedule

  • Fix GigaZ parameters

  • Optical Deck for specifications and tolerances

  • Status of e+ tracking studies incl/ e- thru undulator insertion (ILC low emit folks,….)

11


Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

  • Topic Action Items:

  • Polarization Sabine Riemann

  • Report on tools and scope of activities at Feb. meeting

12


Ilc positron tdr and r d collaboration meeting 1 oxford

Discussion 9: Z2 Summary

ILC Positron TDR and R&D Collaboration Meeting 1: Oxford

Thanks for coming to this meeting

and a special thanks to

Yury Ivanyushenkov and Glyn Northing

for organizing us

and to RAL for hosting us

Next Meeting: Asia, M. Kuriki prior to and in association with February GDE Beijing Meeting

13


Discussion 10: Z2 Summary

ILC Positron System Design and R&D Goals in Support of the TDR

Discussion:

Every thing is open for discussion: format, discussion leaders, topics, organization, schedule, ILC

Will have a session on Friday to discuss how this meeting has gone; what changes are required; what went well; what is clearly not working;…….

I think that it will take about 3 meetings (1 year ) to settle out on this process

(allow phone and video links to the 3 annual meetings

Gudi Mortgat-Pick makes and maintains group mail server

Declare a spokesman for collaboration: J Sheppard, for the time being

14


Discussion 10: Z2 Summary

ILC Positron System Design and R&D Goals in Support of the TDR

Discussion, comments, suggestions

What Works

What Does Not Work

What Do We Do Differently

15


ad