Define a topic. Basic searching to check if enough material available.Make sure the topic is not too broadDoes the topic meet the approval of the your professor?. Why define your topic before you start?. It can help to organize thoughts.It can avoid frustration.It can help use time effectively a
1. HOW TO WRITE A RESEARCH PAPER Thinking and writing process
Promilla Bansal, Reference Librarian 11/04
2. Define a topic Basic searching to check if enough material available.
Make sure the topic is not too broad
Does the topic meet the approval of the your professor?
3. Why define your topic before you start? It can help to organize thoughts.
It can avoid frustration.
It can help use time effectively and productively.
4. Writing process State thesis ( Listing ideas)
Collection of information
5. Research proposal (thesis) Getting ideas on paper
Support main claim
6. Collection Gathering ideas
Locating research ( Databases and Internet)
Books and other sources
7. Where can you go for additional help with assignments for any class? Morton College LRC
Our website: www.morton.edu/library/
Email brief questions: [email protected]
8. Drafting Evaluate and organize ideas
Select relevant notes
Give yourself ample time to work on your project
9. Proofreading tips Slowly read your paper aloud.
Exchange papers with a friend
10. Revising: reviewing ideas Ideas clearly communicated?
Organization of paper
Strong introduction and conclusion