1. Danny Tambs
Architect APAC (SQL Server)
Microsoft Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Master Data Services
What’s the Problem
Master Data Management Overview
What is MDS…
Definitions / Interfaces
4. How does the problem present itself?
5. What is the problem? You need reliable data that you can manage and share – An authoritative source
6. The 4 Ps of Master Data Management
7. Definitions – MDM and MDS
8. Why do I need an MDM Solution when I can?
9. MDM is Not… A new concept
A single technology
Easily solved in a single pass
An ETL process
10. Brief History - where are we? Acquired Stratature in 2007
Shipping in SQL Server 2008 R2 as V1
SQL.Next – New Features Coming..
11. How does MDS help solve the problem?
12. Logical Architecture 12
13. Example Architecture
15. How do I do it ? Decide which data you want to manage
Build a model
Establish Workflows and Notifications
Declare data security
Create the refresh / update processes
Share the data
16. Some Definitions to get your head around... Model
Like a container..
Like a table..
Like a column in the Entity…
Like a Row in the Entity.. Eg. product definition
A Tree Structure.. Grouping & Summary
17. MDS Main Features Supports Granular User Security
Support Windows Authentication – AD
Business Rules Creation for Validation
Eg – Send email on Buiz Rule Validation Failure.
Supports Fuzzy Lookup for Data matching in SQL
EXEC mdq.FuzzyLookup_Match @AttributeGroup_ID = @AttributeGroup_ID, @Version_ID = @Version_ID, @MemberList = @MemberList, @Threshold = 0.3;
Supports Regex Commands in SQL … coding…
Supports Versioning of Master Data
Web services API Interface.
Easy export to Other Systems
18. Important Items Needs .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 or later.
Needs to use SQL 2008 R2 Ent. or Dev. Only.
x64 build Only
Requires IIS to run Management tools - Install the IIS role for Windows 2008
Runs On Win Server 2008/R2 or Windows 7
Turn on Specific Role Services for Management tool to work.
Install from this location on the CD.
19. Importing From Source Systems Batch Load into 3 predefined tables.
Use SSIS, BCP, inserts, etc.. to load into these tables.
Use the Web Services Calls to input data
Coming – Excel Addin to made it Easier.
20. Exporting/Interfacing to Other Systems Use Subscriptions Views
Normal SQL Server Views..
Other systems can read these views like tables.
Can use the MDS Web services calls to query the MDS database from other systems.