Software Development. Chapter 2 Interface Design. Need For User Interface. Various people from different backgrounds now use computers in everyday life The need for a user friendly interface which the average person can productively interact with is important
Styles are chosen by designers to support the particular tasks
Many systems have a mixture of styles to support different tasks
Command Line Interpreter (CLI)
Areas of Use
Allows users to navigate menu system of art works, etc. by touching screen with finger.
Visually and physically disabled users
Users can get audible sounds and words from the computer.
Speech input systems
The most natural interaction style. Speech recognition software is improving greatly but is still not perfect.Special Purpose Languages
A company decides to offer DVD rental through the World Wide Web. After
registering, a customer will create a list of movies that he or she would like to watch. The highest positioned available movie from the list will be posted to the customer.
When finished with the DVD, the customer will post it back. The management of the company decide to appoint a project team to oversee the implementation of a software solution.
During the design phase careful consideration will be given to the design of the
user interface as well as producing a design of the detailed logic of the software.
(i) State three factors that will influence the project team when designing the
user interface for software accessed on the World Wide Web.
(ii) Pseudocode is used to represent the detailed logic of the proposed software.
Describe three aspects of pseudocode that will assist the implementation
of the system.
(i) • Clients skill level.
• Existing documentation indicating user current experience.
• Existing software indicating staff’s current experience/skill.
• Development environment.
• Hardware and software (OS) that the software will run on.
• Types of browser used to access as they have different capabilities eg layers, tables.
• Minimum bandwidth since this will affect users’ ability to view graphics, video.
• Any other acceptable answer. 1 mark for each of 3 factors
(ii) • English statements which have a one to one mapping with code (1).
• Numbering reflects dependency (1).
• Indentation to indicate control structures such as repetition and selection (1).
• Data flow informs parameter passing (1).