STRENGTHENING THE TASK OF CONSUMER PROTECTION IN VIETNAM. Dr. Dinh Thi My Loan Director General, Competition Administration Department MINISTRY OF TRADE. PRESENTATION CONTENTS. 1. The necessity of consumer protection work 2. Laws on protection of consumers’ rights
STRENGTHENING THE TASKOF
CONSUMER PROTECTIONIN VIETNAM
Dr. Dinh Thi My Loan
Director General, Competition Administration Department
MINISTRY OF TRADE
Roles of consumers:
- Consumers greatly affect businesses’operation.
- Consumer protection aims at both ensuring social equity and guaranteeing a fair business environment.
Numerous enterprises are still no respect of their responsibilities to consumers.
The mass of consumers are not fully aware of their rights and responsibilities and that do not execute them.
Ordinance No.13/1999/PLUBTVQH10 on protection of consumers’ rights
- Promulgated on April 27, 1999;
- Governing the rights and responsibilities of consumers; organizations and individuals producing and trading goods and services; State management of protection of consumers' rights; Resolving complaints and denunciations and dealing with breaches…
Decree No.69/2001/NĐ-CP Making detailed provisions for implementation of the Ordinance on Protection of Consumers' Rights
Promulgated on October 2, 2001;
Making detailed provisions for State Management of Protection of Consumers' Rights in which detail responsibilities are assigned to Ministries/industries and localities;
Regulating Organizations Protecting Consumers' Rights;
Resolving Complaints and Denunciations and Dealing with Breaches.
Law on Competition
- Promulgated on December 14, 2004;
- Governing competition restriction acts and unfair competition acts;
Other legal documents:
- Civil Code
- Criminal Code
- Commercial Law
- Law on protection of people’s health
- Law on protection of environment
- Ordinance on quality of goods
- Ordinance on measurement
Previously State Management function was entrusted to the The Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment in which The General Department of Standards, Weights, Measurements and Quality should assist the Minister of Science, Technology and Environment in the direct implementation of State management of protection of consumers' rights.
Under Decree No. 29/2004/NĐ-CP regulating functions, duties, powers and organizational structure of the Ministry of Trade:
- The Ministry of Trade shall be responsible to the Government for unified State management of protection of consumers' rights under laws and regulations…
Under Decree No. 06/2006/NĐ-CP
Competition Administration Department.
Several activities of Competition Administration Department to implement this task:
Guiding Departments of Trade/Departments of Trade and Tourism in taking up and implementation of this task
Supplying information and advocacy of laws on protection of consumers’ rights via
Several activities of Competition Administration Department to implement this task (cont’d):
Enhancing international cooperation:
Cooperation with ASEAN members
FTC/DOJ of other nations
5. Roles of Departments of Trade/ Departments of Trade and Tourism
5. Roles of Departments of Trade/Departments of Trade and Tourism
Under Decree No.69/2001/NĐ-CP, ministries, ministerial equivalent bodies and Government bodies shall be responsible, depending on their respective functions, duties and powers, to co-ordinate in the implementation of the following duties:
- To draft and submit to the Government for promulgation, or to promulgate within their own authority, legal instruments relating to protection of consumers' rights for the branches and sectors they manage.
-To guide, check and inspect implementation of the laws on protection of consumers' rights within the branches and sectors they manage.
-To resolve complaints and denunciations, and to deal with breaches of the laws on protection of consumers' rights.
- To organize education in respect of, and dissemination of information on, the laws on protection of consumers' right.
Organizations protecting consumers' rights:
-Be permitted to register their operation at people's committees at all local levels
Be representative organizations in order to protect consumers' rights
Be permitted to receive complaints from consumers
Be possible to represent consumers to hand in complaints to authorized bodies for resolving
Protection of consumers' rights is common responsibility of the society
The task of protection of consumers' rights relates to many different industries/sectors and that it is needed to co-ordinate among Competition Administration Department (Ministry of Trade), Departments of Trade/Departments of Trade and Tourism, other ministries/industries, media agencies and Organizations protecting consumers' rights