Evidence-Based Practice A Stepwise Approach . Bruce D. Friedman, PhD, ACSW, CSWM University of Texas – Pan American Social Work Department [email protected] October 27, 2006 www.socialworkmanager.org. Objectives.
Clinical performance can keep up to date by:
1. Learning how to practice EBP ourselves.
2.Seek and apply evidence-based practice summaries generated by others.
3. Apply evidence-based strategies for changing our clinical behavior.
The practice of EBP is the integration of
When caring for a client it creates the need for information:
1. Ask a focused clinical question. ( “answerable question”)
Yogi Berra said….
"You got to be very careful if you don\'t know where you\'re going, because you might not get there."
2. Efficiently track-down the best available evidence.
3. Critically appraise the evidence for its validity and clinical applicability.
4. Integrate the critical appraisal with your clinical expertise and the client’s unique values and expectations Action.
5. Evaluate your performance (= Audit).
Carry out instant information searching as soon as we need to know something
Usefulness of information =
Applicability x Validity