MidAm District Implementation 2013-2014. Why SafeSport?. What is Safe Sport?. Safe Sport Module. http://www.usahockey.com/SafeSport.aspx. Policies Prohibiting Abuse . Policies Reducing Risks for Potential Abuse . Sexual Abuse Policy. Physical Abuse Policy. Emotional Abuse Policy.
When we allow a coach to hold a position, we are putting our stamp on them that they are OK.
Reports to USA Hockey may be made by:
(3) calling 800-888-4656.
Reports may also be made to Affiliate SafeSport Coordinator
2139 Market Street
Wheeling, WV 26003
(304) 232-0700 (work)
(304) 312-6076 (cell)
INDIANA Professionals Required to Report Ann. Code § 31-33-5-2
- any staff member of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility, or agency.
KENTUCKYProfessionals Required to Report Rev. Stat. § 620.030
- Physicians, osteopathic physicians, nurses, coroners, medical examiners, residents, interns, chiropractors, dentists, optometrists, emergency medical technicians, paramedics, or health professionals
- Teachers, school personnel, or child care personnel
- Social workers or mental health professionals
- Peace officers
- Persons required to report include, but are not limited to:
- Licensed physicians, osteopaths, medical examiners, coroners, funeral directors, dentists, optometrists, chiropractors, podiatrists, interns, nurses, or hospital personnel
- Christian Science practitioners or members of the clergy
- School administrators, teachers, school nurses, social services workers, daycare center workers, or any other child care or foster care workers
- Mental health professionals
- Peace officers or law enforcement officials
Ann. Code § 49-6A-2
- Medical, dental, or mental health professionals
- Christian Science practitioners or religious healers
- Teachers or other school personnel
- Social service, child care, or foster care workers
- Emergency medical services personnel
- Peace officer, law enforcement officials, or humane officers
- Members of the clergy
- Circuit court judges, family court judges, employees of the Division of Juvenile Services, or magistrates
- Youth camp administrators, counselors, employees, coaches, or volunteers of entities that provide organized activities for children
- Commercial film or photographic print processors
Follow USA Hockey Bylaw 10
When in doubt about the process, ask…
“In all cases, the disciplinary procedures and actions of USA Hockey and its Affiliates and local programs shall be proportionate, reasonable and applied fairly and equally.”
Handbook used in seminar at John Jay College of Criminal Justice as an example of best practices for institutions that have interaction between adults & adolescents.
From an Affiliate SafeSport Coordinator:
“BTW, I am now on our 6th complaint…. One byproduct that I doubt anyone thought of is that when upset parents learn that myself and SafeSport exist, they are quite thankful that this program is there for them. There is a palpable attitude amongst our constituents that nobody really cares about their concerns and that the “good old boys” will sweep the ugliness under the rug. I make it clear that although I AM NOT their ombudsman, I am a fair and impartial investigator that will insure that the matter is fully looked into and ultimately resolved… in each case so far they have expressed gratitude that things are being handled in this fashion and are appeased to an extent (regardless of the outcome) just by virtue of the program and its inherent fairness and attention. I would argue that SafeSport will ultimately aide in recruitment and retention of families, in addition to safety improvement and liability reduction.
Now having experienced the impact and importance of SafeSport from these varied perspectives, I am a true believer and staunch proponent. I dare say it far more important than anyone conceived it to be.”