Leishmaniasis. Different stages of Haemoflagellates. Leishmania life cycle. Promastigote Amasitgote Transformation. Leishmania life cycle. Amastigotes replicate in reticuloendothelial cells (mononuclear cells) including; Monocytes Macrophages in lymph nodes, spleen, and lung;
Leishmania life cycle
Promastigotes reproduce in biting fly (Phlebotomus, Lutzomyia)
Skin ulcers on the exposed parts of the body such as the face, arms and legs.
Old World: L. major, L. tropica, L. aethiopica (DCL)
New World: L. mexicana, L. pifanoi, L. amazonensis, L. venezuelensis, L. granhami,
In Iran: P. papatasi.
Sporotrichoid form cutaneous infections.
Diffuse cutaneous leishmaniasis
L. donovani macrophages) throughout multiple internal organs and the blood, anthroponotic
L. infantum, zoonosis,
L. donovani ,(archibaldi), zoonosis,
L. chagasi, zoonotic
- Causative agent is L. infantum
- Reservior host: involving canine such as Dog, Jackal, fox, wolf and other wild carnivorouses.
- The probable main vector in Iran is Phlebotomus major (Fars), other vectors are P.keshishiani (Fars), P. Perfiliewi (Dashte-Moghan),P. kandelakii (Meshkinshahr).
- Age distribution: the disease mainly occurs in children from 1 to 4 years of age.
Laboratory Diagnosis of macrophages) throughout multiple internal organs and the bloodleishmaniasis :
1. Cutaneous Leishmaniasis
2. macrophages) throughout multiple internal organs and the bloodVisceral Leishmaniasis