Determining Critical Factors of Six Sigma Initiatives. By Shawn W. Flynn. Determining, Determining , Determining , Determining , Determining, Determining. B usiness goals , D ata-driven decisions , Financial effectiveness, M easurement and feedback , O rganizational impact,
Determining Critical Factors of Six Sigma Initiatives
By Shawn W. Flynn
Top 5 Success Factors
1. Support and deployment strategy (commitment from top management, process owners, customer focus and communication)
2. Resources (allocation of time, talent, equipment, training, technical support and the right people)
3. Data-driven decision making (statistical thinking and project selection)
4. Measurement and feedback, (KPM/KIVs, lessons learned and effective control plan)
5. Organizational impact (cultural acceptance, readiness and behavior toward change and workforce management)
Top 5 Failure Factors
1. Support and deployment strategy
3. Organizational impact
5. Link to business goals and accountability
The Theoretical Framework, provides the statistical relationship of the variables to research hypotheses and the equations used in multiple regression.
Firstly, two decades of Six Sigma have not yielded an expected body of statistical evidence from the literature that either confirms or denies the critics or proponents. The numbers are simply not readily available to make a concrete data based determination about Six Sigma. What’s known is that due to the popularity and its practical trappings in society, there is prominent interest in the subject. This interest will continue to yield questions, which lead to further research and sharing of stories on the topic. This means that further documentation will continue to happen. This documentation in the form of continued research efforts and publications by organizations and individuals may over time yield enough substantial data to make an accurate decision.
Though the study provided no statistical determination of critical factors impact on organizational effectiveness, success rates and financial effectiveness, it did however provide further insight into the Six Sigma universe by pointing the way for future studies to focus on critical factors in initiatives. The recommendations of repeated surveys, survey refinement and specification and the holistic view are dimensions that will further the conundrum about Six Sigma's worth encountered during this study. With these kinds of expansions to the Six Sigma methodology, an evidence based body of documentation and results may emerge and ensure its place in history as a bona fide methodology.