Warm Up. 2) Imagine you are piloting a small plane at an altitude of 15,000 feet and preparing to land. Once you begin your descent to the runway, your altitude changes at a rate of-25 feet/sec. Your horizontal speed is 180 ft /sec.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
2) Imagine you are piloting a small plane at an altitude of
15,000 feet and preparing to land. Once you begin your
descent to the runway, your altitude changes at a rate
of-25 feet/sec. Your horizontal speed is 180 ft /sec.
Write parametric equations to model the descent of
The function y = f (x) is defined parametrically by
x(t) = 1 + 3t, y(t) = 2t2 + 5. Write y as a function
of x and sketch the graph of the function f.
1) Determine whether or not (104, -200) is a point
on the graph of x = 4 + t, y = 100 - 3t.
Warm Up Answers
1) Substitute (104, -200) in each equation and solve.104 = 4 + t, so t = 100-200 = 100 - 3t, t = 100 Since the t values are the same, the point is on the graph. 2) x(t) = 180t y(t) = 15000 - 25t
Parametric Equations & Vectors
x = 4T – 1, y = -8T + 2
b) | v |
d) unit vector in the same direction as w
1) Find the component form of a vector with magnitude 4 and direction 300.
2) Find the value of k so that the vectors are
2) Find the values of t so that the angle between the vectors is obtuse
Your neighbor is studying the migration of a certain gaggle of geese. Because of your awesome math skills, he has asked for your help. You have laid out a topological map to indicate the movement of the geese over time with your house corresponding to the point (0,0) on the grid. The geese start their migration at the point (420mm, 30mm) on the grid and move in a linear path to a location 0.8 mm west and 0.2 mm north every minute.
A plane is flying on a bearing N10W at 460mph. The wind is blowing in the direction S25E at 30mph. Express the actual velocity of the plane as a vector. Determine the actual speed and direction of the plane.