post graduation work permit off campus work permit
Skip this Video
Download Presentation
Post Graduation work permit & OFF-CAMPUS WORK PERMIT

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 17

Post Graduation work permit & OFF-CAMPUS WORK PERMIT - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

  • Uploaded on

Post Graduation work permit & OFF-CAMPUS WORK PERMIT. International services & programs Abroad. Arthur Chen Manager, International Student Services GLN-B210 Brock University | International Services and Programs Abroad Niagara Region   |  500 Glenridge Ave.  |  St. Catharines, ON    L2S 3A1

I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about ' Post Graduation work permit & OFF-CAMPUS WORK PERMIT' - nalani

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
international services programs abroad
International services & programs Abroad

Arthur ChenManager, International Student ServicesGLN-B210

Brock University | International Services and Programs AbroadNiagara Region   |  500 Glenridge Ave.  |  St. Catharines, ON    L2S 3A1  905 688 5550  x4318 |  F  905 688 2074

Email: [email protected]

Join our Facebook group for “Brock U International Students”!/groups/356657894378937/


Terms and Facts

  • CIC – Citizenship and Immigration Canada
  • Graduation Date (CIC point of view) – the date you complete all requirements towards your degree. NOT your convocation date
  • Off Campus Work Permit (OCWP) – Apply before graduate
  • Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) – Apply after graduate. Within 90 days from the date you complete all requirements for your degree (Graduation Date)
  • Implied Status – remain same legal status
  • International Services office website:

Transition: OCWP to PGWP

  • Upon completion of study, if the OCWP will be still valid, can be used to work full time up to 90 days or till expiry date if not applying for PGWP.
  • If applied for PGWP within 90 days and before OCWP expires, can keep working full time till receive the PGWP even after OCWP expired – implied status.
  • Better apply for a OCWP before graduate.

Working in Canada

  • On Campus – no work permit needed: must be a full-time (of any program include ESL, IELP) student with a valid Study Permit – no working hour limit. But can not be considered as full time working experience when apply for PR. (e.g. TA can work full time hours but can’t be Full Time TA)
  • Other work opportunities for international students:
  • *CO-OP/Internship Program
    • Enrolled in a coop degree program
    • Letter from internship/coop office to confirm the work component is required for completing the degree
    • Apply as early as possible, before start to look for job. No need for job offer.

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

  • 3-year open work permit, if the degree is 2-year or longer
  • Based on degree length definition, not how long student has spent to complete the degree
  • Need a letter from Registrar’s office or Faculty of Graduate Studies to confirm completion of the degree (no need of job offer)
  • Apply within 90 days from the date of completion of degree
  • Can only apply once in lifetime and not extendable after 3 years – if have applied using Bachelor degree, cannot apply again after obtained Master or PhD
  • While holding PGWP, if the study permit is still valid can keep it till expiry date. Can hold both permits the same time. Also can extend the study permit or apply for a new study permit if will attend school.
  • While holding PGWP, can take short-term courses (which can be completed within 6 months) without study permit

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

  • You must have a letter to confirm you have completed all requirements for your degree:
    • Graduate students: Eligibility to Graduate Letter  (use "General Request Form" on the right side under "Miscellaneous Forms")
    • Undergraduate students: Confirmation of Graduation

Off-Campus Work Permit (OCWP)

  • Valid study permit
  • Currently Full Time student of regular degree program
  • Full time at a participating public post-secondary institution for at least 6 out of the last 12 months – could be transferred from other institution to Brock.
  • Maintained satisfactory academic standing
  • Apply online – get approved by DIR

Off-Campus Work Permit (OCWP)

  • Visiting, exchange or non-degree students are not eligible
  • Not eligible if you have a partial or full scholarship from:
    • Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT)
    • Government of Canada Awards Program funded by DFAIT; or
    • Canadian International Development Agency
    • Equal Opportunity Scholarship Program
  • Not for students of English or French as a second language such as IELP

Off-Campus Work Permit (OCWP)

  • Maximum of 20 hours/week during school terms
  • Full time during scheduled university breaks (spring, summer, Christmas) while registered as part time or not taking courses
    • Graduate students always registered as full time during spring and summer, then can not work full time.
  • Open work permits
    • Can work for any kind of employment
    • Can work anywhere in Canada
    • Can’t use for coop work (unless the coop work is only for 4 months in spring and summer)
    • Do not need job offer to apply
  • Annual report to CIC (Keep checking your BrockU email)

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

  • Required if you earn income in Canada for taxation purposes.
  • Apply in person at Service Canada office
  • Need a work permit OR a study permit valid for more than 6 months and an original contract of employment letter (for on campus working situation). -
  • Has an expiry date. Covered by implied status while waiting for study/work permit renewal
  • Students only receiving scholarships, will not be able to get a SIN.

Verification Form

  • Complete this Brock EVN form and submit to:
    • Undergraduate:
    • Office of the Registrar
    • Schmon Tower 301
    • Graduate:
    • Graduate Studies
    • Mackenzie Chown D250
  • Also submit online request for EVN
University does not provide invitation letter.

Student is the inviter who should write the invitation letter.

Students need to check local Canadian consulate responsible for the area to following instruction on how to apply visiting visa for their parents. There should be information on how to write the invitation letter.

University will provide confirmation of convocation as supporting document in case of inviting parents to come to convocation.

Inviting parents or friends

(for convocation or visit)


Arthur ChenManager, International Student ServicesGLN-B210 T  905 688 5550  x4318 |  F  905 688 2074

Email: [email protected]