Political Developments in the Early Republic. Chapter 11. I. Launching the New Government. First President April 30, 1789 – Washington takes oath of office BrainPOP Title Debate Argued over title Washington preferred “ Mr. President ” Setting Up the Executive Branch
a) Washington led 13,000 state militia troops to crush rebels
The words from Washington’s Farewell Address are just as important today as they were when he left office.
What could our nation learn from the words of our first president?
1 – promised capital location to south if they supported
a) Federalists sided with Britain
1. Informed citizens could make good decisions for themselves and their country
1. Favored economy based on agriculture
a) Ordered to leave the country after insulting President Washington
1. 1800 – federal government moved to city of Washington in District of Columbia
1. Hamilton’s followers refuse to support Adams because of foreign policy disagreements
1. All Republican electors voted for Jefferson and Burr resulting in a tie between them