Principles of Behavior Modification (PSY333) Note Set 4. Gary L. Cates, Ph.D., N.C.S.P. Maintenance. Continuing performance after it was first established Behavior Trap: Built in reinforcers take control of artificially delivered reinforcers Perpetual Performance Contracting does not exist.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Principles of Behavior Modification (PSY333)Note Set 4
Gary L. Cates, Ph.D., N.C.S.P
e. g. Using your money at McDonalds is very similar as using your money at Wendy’s
E.g. mathematics: Balancing checkbook
e.g. Behavioral Momentum: Compliance high p
e.g. Computer vs. worksheet vs. flashcards
√ This is what most people believe behavioral people are interested in
1. Contact with rules is too small
4. Rule description is too vague
5. Deadlines are not effectively established
Token: A conditioned reinforcer that can be
turned in for backup reinforcers
Problems of Behavioral Excesses
Problems of behavioral deficiencies
1. Immediate small punishers for a behavior versus reinforcers that are cumulatively significant
2. Immediate small punishers for a behavior versus immediate but highly improbable major punisher if the behavior does not occur
3. Immediate small punisher for a behavior versus delayed major punisher if the behavior does not occur.
Modeling, Guidance, and Situational Inducement
Method to teach imitation
* Not restrictive procedure: Get permission
All behavior is goal directed behavior
Let’s tie the principles of Behavior Modification Together
Clinical Behavior Therapy
Cognition: belief, thought, expectancy, attitude, or perception
√ Effects probably due to homework assignments, not the challenge of cognition.
√ Cognitive good for social-anxiety and phobia
√ Tx good for problem drinkers not as effective for alcoholics
Ethics in Behavior Modification
Careers in Behavior Modification
So you want to be a behavior modifier/analyst huh?