Please get out a half sheet of paper, not a journal, it’s not a grade. You’ll write down your answers then we will go over to check for understanding. D. A. Living things produce more offspring than will survive. There is variation among the offspring.
Please get out a half sheet of paper, not a journal, it’s not a grade. You’ll write down your answers then we will go over to check for understanding
6. Compare the two animals listed below with the human cytochrome C protein segment. Which animal is most similar to humans?
human: A A K J L C D Y T A A L M N
organism #1:A A K T L C E Y T A A J M N
organism #2:A A K J L C D Y J A A J M N
7. Would the organism you selected probably be a mammal or a reptile? Why?
8. Besides comparing biochemical evidence (amino acids), what other evidence do scientists have that evolution has occurred?
Fossils, biogeography, homologous structures, vestigial
Look at the diagram at the right to answer the next few questions.
9. What is this diagram called?
10. Which two animals are more closely related?
11. What led you to believe that the two animals you chose in #5 were more closely related?
They are closer together on the cladogram and share the same most recent ancestor.
Types of Natural Selection, Patterns & Rates of Evolution
SB5b. Explain the history of life in terms of biodiversity, ancestry, and the rates of evolution.
SB5e. Recognize the role of evolution to biological resistance (pesticide and antibiotic resistance).
In peppered moths there are two major phenotypes- light color and dark color
During the Industrial Revolution large amounts of air pollution killed the lichens on the tree, exposing the dark bark underneath.
Before the Industrial Revolution light colored moths had a better chance of survival. After the Industrial Revolution dark colored moths had a better chance of survival. This change in the moth population over time is EVOLUTION of a POPULATION.
Notice the peak of the blue line is over the light phenotype
Notice the peak of the red line is over the dark phenotype
This shows that the population evolved from light being more common before Industrial revolution to dark after.
This type of natural selection is called…
Change in Moth Phenotype from 1800’s-1900’s
Phenotypes of Moths
1. Adaptive Radiation
3. Convergent evolution
1. Natural Selection
2. Artificial Selection