1. Cell Theory Timeline
2. Get out Notebook Paper
3. Cell Theory 1. All living things are made of cells.
2. Cells are the basic units of structure and function in living things. (structure = form; function = purpose)
3. Living cells only come from other living cells.
4. Taking Notes In order to complete your timeline…
Take notes of the following scientists
Zacharias and Hans Jansen
Anton van Leeuwenhoek
William Henry Perkin
Write down their name, date, and a brief description of what they did.
6. Aristotle 334 B.C.E.
Aristotle observed nature directly.
He classified all known organisms as either plants or animals.
B.C.E.= Before Common Era
7. Hans & Zacharias Janssen 1595
Hans & Zacharias Janssen produced the first compound microscope by lining up 2 lenses.
8. Robert Hooke 1665
Robert Hooke observed lining matter (cork cells) through a compound microscope, which reveals empty cells.
He is the first to call the spaces in the cork “cells” which means little rooms.
9. Anton van Leeuwenhoek 1675
Anton van Leeuwenhoek observed living cells through a simple microscope.
10. Matthias Schleiden 1838
Matthias Schleiden discovered that plants were made of cells.
11. Theodor Schwann 1839
Theodor Schwann states “all animals are made of cells.”
12. William Henry Perkin 1856
William Henry Perkin develops an intense purple dye, which is used to stain slides.
13. Rudolph Virchow 1858
Rudolph Virchow states…
“Cells are the last link in a great chain that forms tissues, organs, systems, and individuals. Where a cell exists, there must have been a preexisting cell.”
Cells can only arise from pre-existing cells
14. Create a Cell Timeline Label the timeline with the dates, scientist names, and details of the important discoveries.
The earliest date should be on the left and the most recent on the right.
Show a reasonable amount of elapsed time between dates.
8 events & 8 pictures
Graded on neatness, accuracy, and use of color.
List Cell Theory and the 3 parts of the Cell Theory.