Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
3. California Community Colleges A wonderful open door of opportunity for all students
4. Segments of Higher Education Independent Universities -
University of California -
California State Universities -
California Community Colleges -
5. Segments of Higher Education Which segment in California enrolls the majority of students in undergraduate education?
California Community Colleges
6. California Community Colleges Founded over 100 years ago
112 Campuses and 72 Districts
Serving 2.6 million students
Largest system of higher education in the world!
24% of community college students nationwide are enrolled in a California community college.
7. Reasons to Attend Community College Why are community colleges such a popular destination for most high school students?
Affordable + ROI
Quality of Education
8. Average Savings Compared to First 2 yrs at Community College (Includes tuition, fees, room & board)
CSU $35,000 Junior / Senior Years Graduate School
UC $54,000 Junior / Senior Years Graduate School
Private/ $95,000 Junior / Senior Years Independent Graduate School
Average graduate with debt owes $20,000
9. Reasons to Attend Community College Hundreds of instructional programs and majors
Wide variety of students support services
Among the best teaching faculty in the state
Providing open access at convenient locations
10. SAN MATEO COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
11. PENINSULA COMMUNITY COLLEGES
12. The Admission Process Application for admission - Top 100%
13. Comprehensive Support Services Computer Lab
Disabled Students Program
English as a Second Language
Extended Opportunity Program & Services
14. Who We Serve We serve everyone!
In a variety of ways...
Concurrent Enrollment (25% UC - Eligible)
Summer session for high school grads and other college students
15. Students Choose Community Colleges… Discover their major prior to deciding on a university
Save two years of admission and housing costs
Not eligible for university admission
Not admitted to the campus of their choice
Take advantage of intercollegiate athletics or foreign studies program
16. Intercollegiate Athletics MEN
Track and Field
Track and Field
17. Study Abroad Program Study in one of the world’s great international destinations…
18. Students Choose Community Colleges… To complete the equivalent to the universities freshmen and sophomore years at a local community college
19. Students Choose Community Colleges… So they can transfer as a junior to a university to complete the remaining junior and senior years to finish their bachelor’s degree
20. ‘Best Advice’ for High School Students #1 Improve college readiness: take rigorous
college prep courses throughout high school
Take math all four years in high school
Take advantage of early assessments
CSU’s Early Assessment Program (EAP) exams in English and mathematics
AP or IB Courses and Tests
Concurrent enrollment opportunities enable students to experience college while in high school
Take advantage of community college summer sessions following high school graduation
21. Students Choose Community Colleges… To receive specialized training or pursue a technical trade
Earn a certificate or an associate degree
Go directly into the world of work
22. Career Opportunities Auto Mechanic
Computer Aided Drafter
Computer Support Specialist
Dental Assistant Digital Imager
Drug Prevention Educator
Emergency Medical Technician
23. Career Opportunities Hygienist
Paramedic Police Officer
Real Estate Agent
24. Educational Goals What is the number #1 objective for freshmen enrolling in community colleges?
Complete the same course requirements as freshmen and sophomores at a university
Receive upper division priority admission at all CSU & UC campuses
Receive higher admission rates than most freshman applicants at CSU & UC campuses
25. UC & CSU Commitment to Transfer
“We at UC will actively partner with the CSU and the community colleges to help students understand that the transfer option is achievable and affordable”
- UC President Mark Yudof, March 2010
“Continuing students have highest enrollment priority.
Transfer students have a higher priority than First-
- California Education Code Section 66202
26. Partnership With Universities How great is our partnership with 4 year universities?
Most private universities actively recruit CC Transfers – 20% enrollment
California Community College students make up..
28% - 30% of UC graduates
55% - 60% of CSU graduates
27. UC Student Retention & Graduation Rates
28. Admission Criteria for Transferring Juniors To enter all UC’s, CSU’s,
and most private universities
Community College GPA, not High School GPA
No ACT, SAT, or even an “Eligibility Index”
Community College course work – Both general education & major requirements
assist.org – Online Students Transfer Information System
29. Information All CCC have transfer centers, where students can find out:
Information about transfer including … guaranteed transfer agreements with UC, CSU, and Private Universities
cccco.edu – California Community College Chancellors Office
30. Affordability Classes cost just $36/unit. Financial Aid is also available to students who qualify—Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver (BOG)
31. HUGO MORA
32. Who We Serve So…if your not taking advantage of community colleges sometime in your life, then you are missing a Golden Opportunity!
33. THANK YOU!
34. CONTACT Steve Morehouse
High School Relations