Chapter 37: Circulatory & Respiratory Systems. Circulation: Structure and Function. Section 37.1. TRANSPORTATION Cells need to get nutrients and oxygen and get rid of wastes Consists of heart, blood vessels, and blood. What needs to be transported in the body?.
Chapter 37: Circulatory & Respiratory Systems
Transportation in living organisms:
1. _________ is contained in ____________.
2. The parts of the circulatory system are:
4 heart chambers
Atria: 2 upper chambers
that receive blood into
the heart. Receiving
chambers (singular = atrium)
Ventricle: 2 lower chambers
that pump blood out of
the heart. Pumping
chambers. Ventricles have
thick muscle to pump to
II. The Heart
A. The heart is made up of ______________.
1. It is enclosed by the __________________ which
2. The walls of the heart are made of a thick layer muscle called the _________________________, which
is surrounded by layers of epithelial and
b. nervousd. respiratory
a.myocardium.c. connective tissue layer.
b.pericardium.d. epithelial tissue layer.
shown in red
(Inner surface of myocardium)
B. The heart contracts about ____ times per minute.
1. Each contraction pumps _______ of blood.
C. The _______ divides the _______ and _______
sides of the ________.
1. This prevents the mixing of the side that carries
blood with _________ and the side without.
D. Chambers of the Heart
1. The Upper Chamber is the __________.
a. Atria ________ the _________.
2. The Lower Chamber is called the ___________.
a. __________ pump blood ______.
3. The human heart has ___ atria and ___ ventricles.
a. left ventricle pulmonary artery aorta
b. right atrium right ventricle pulmonary artery
c. left ventricle left atrium aorta
d. right atrium left atrium pulmonary artery
a. septum.c. tricuspid valve.
b. pericardium.d. mitral valve.
When blood leaves the _________________ side of the heart, it is oxygen-poor. When blood leaves the _________________ side of the heart, it is oxygen-rich.
large, and muscular
(except pulmonary artery.)
which transport oxygen (the protein hemoglobin binds iron and oxygen)
White blood cells
Red blood cells
Whole Blood Sample
Sample Placed in Centrifuge
Blood Sample That Has Been Centrifuged
Which of the following is true about blood pressure?
Which of the following are the smallest of the blood vessels?
a. IAIA and IAIBc.IBI and IAIB
b. IBIB and IBid.IBi and ii
a. AB or Oc.A, B, AB, or O
b. A, B, or Od.AB only
1. Cellular respiration = breaking down food molecules in the mitochondria in presence of oxygen to make ATP
2. Respiration for the organism = gas exchange (O2 in, CO2 out)
covers entrance to trachea when
filters along the pathway
need to keep air warm,
a. alveoli.c. diaphragm.
b. bronchioles.d. heart.
a. exchanging giftsc. receiving a gift
b. giving a giftd. sitting in a chair
a.swollen bronchi.c. groups of cancer cells.
b. enlarged alveoli.d. smoking.
a.nose and mouth.c.lungs.