PIA 3090. COMPARATIVE PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION. The Main Event. Golden Oldies Literary Map The Grand Synthesis. Prologue- World Bank Mission. Local Governance and Civil Society in Guinea Conakry Creation of a Poverty Alleviation Fund- includes Micro-Credit
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
COMPARATIVE PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
GOVERNANCE IN GUINEA-CONAKRY
a. People are tied to a unique web of historical experiences
b. Assumption: From the general culture one can extract out the salient aspects of that culture that relate to political behavior and administrative traditions
c. Organizational Culture is a sub-set of broader cultural assumptions
d. In looking for evidence of a political or an administrative culture we are looking for a set of representative values for the people of that society
1. Many cultures: regional, administrative, ethnic, professional, etc. including hierarchy of values
2. These are effected by historical origin, race, gender, education, region, etc.
Three dimensions of Culture
a. What is good and bad
b. U.S.- Military service good, welfare cheaters bad
a. Symbolism and myth, anthems and flags
b. Provides the strength of values
c. Nationalism- “My country right or wrong”
1. Process by which political attitudes are formed and maintained
2. Acquisition of values, beliefs, and knowledge about the political system on both the individual and community level
3. Cultural transmission across generations- the introduction of new generations to the beliefs and values of the old
Socialization: Mass vs. elite (vs.
a. Primary- Most important: occurs within the family
b. Secondary- Everything else before adulthood, school, peers, national and regional- it is here that cultural engineering occurs
c. Tertiary- Professional and Organizational- Begins with University. Issue how specialization of bureaucratic elites is related to socialization and education
1. Theory X vs. Theory Y
2. Maslov’s Hierarchy: Basic needs, social needs and ego needs
3. Application of Theories of Motivation outside the U.S. Case Study (China, Korea, South Africa and Brazil)
4. The Special problem of Fragile and Collapsed states.
5. The Importance of a Motivation Country in a Country Such as Guinea