Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Bedouin Rural Health Project Children Safety in Northeastern Badia of Jordan. Fadia Hasna, PhD Mohammed Al-Smairan, PhD Arab Children Health Congress 2010. Bedouin Rural Health Project. Funded by the European Commission Framework 6 Programme -International Co-operation Programme (INCO-DEV)
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Fadia Hasna, PhD
Mohammed Al-Smairan, PhD
Arab Children Health Congress 2010
European or Associated Countries
University of Oxford
-Some of the babies in the Badia are still born at home especially for nomadic Bedouins
- The short supply of clean and reliable sources of water
- Access to specialist health clinics and hospitals, especially in the remote areas
- Poor diet which leaves people exposed to infection especially during the damp cold winters
The Bedouins are more distant than us from civilization. We have to take the information to them. The last time we did a vaccination campaign we were searching for them because they wouldn\'t receive us. We would tell them that the vaccination is good for you and immunizes you from diseases. They would say no either because they were afraid or because they were far from civilization. That is what we face (AZCLP4).
In Azraq the citizens hear that there is a vaccination campaign and it\'s not even for them, but they come to get vaccinated although the campaign isn\'t for them. Since they are near in this area they come. As for the tents that are 30-40 km, if we can reach them, we vaccinate them, but if we don\'t reach them and the information about the campaign didn\'t reach them they don\'t get vaccinated…… in our last immunization campaign three weeks ago people ran off and refused to be immunized (AZCLP3).
Outreach faces obstacles such as:
- Lack of awareness among Bedouin that drives some of them to escape the immunization campaigns
- The coverage of outreach is not comprehensive due to staff, facilities and equipment shortages
- Mobility of Bedouins disturbs the comprehensive coverage of immunization.
- Mobile clinics are not cost- effective
"They are more distant than us from civilization. We have to take the information to them. The last time we did a vaccination campaign we were searching for them because they wouldn\'t receive us. We would tell them that the vaccination is good for you and immunizes you from diseases. They would say no either because they were afraid or because they were far from civilization. That is what we face." (AZCLP4).
They are in a hurry. Most women don’t wait five minutes only when they come for immunization. They ask me to queue them because they have children at home waiting. Sometimes they don’t come and they send their mums, their sisters or their aunts. The habits and the customs also play a role in this matter. It is difficult for women to come out of their houses before 40 days of delivery (SSP4).
They come for immunization or for family planning. These things are more important to them than the puerperium period (SSP4)
- Dental health screening scheme by the local dentist.
- Dental health education and promotion programs.
- Annual smile day campaign.
- Referral system of children in need for dental treatment.
- Distribution of oral hygiene products such as tooth brushes and tooth paste.
- Fluoridated mouth rinse program.
- 107 Boys and girls in primary schools in Northeastern Badia
- Only 12% of the children were completely free of dental caries
- Only 18% of the participants had good oral hygiene compared to 82% with visible plaque.
- Similarly the gingival scoring recorded more than half of the children with noticeable gingival inflammation, while only the third experienced healthy gingivae
- Marked disparity between male and female related to oral cleanliness, the boys group had the worse condition in the three categories with 85%, 71% and 18%
تناول الفواكه والخضروات وإبتعد عن السكريات
تنظيف أسنانك مرتين يوميا
من أجل إبتسامة دائمة , عليك ب :
ولا تنسى زيارة طبيب الأسنان كل 6 أشهر
إستخدام الخيط الطبي بين الأسنان يوميا
5. Coordinate transport issues with military services and civil defense
6. National diet group need to be developed with representative from the dental health department, dental school academic with interest in preventive dentistry , delegate from ministry of education and representative of the food suppliers to review periodically on the national food program at schools and monitor closely the implementation with particular attention on reduction in the frequency of sugar consumption.
7. Preventive school treatment programs with dental fissure sealants