Mental Health in China. Daolong Zhang M.D. Psychcn-Chestnut Global Partners. Outline. History of Mental Health in China Current Affairs Applicability of New Programs Like EAP. Brief History of Psychiatry. 1951 Society of Neurology and Psychiatry established by Chinese Medical Association
Daolong Zhang M.D.
Psychcn-Chestnut Global Partners
1951 Society of Neurology and Psychiatry established by Chinese Medical Association
1955 Published first professional journal
1963 Organized first national meeting
1966－1978 Suspended all professional activities
1978 Resumed professional activities
1979 Established the first Chinese mental illness classification system
1980 Expanded operations internationally
1989 Established the official Chinese Mental Illness Classification and Diagnostic Criteria
1993 Society of Psychiatry established by the CMA
1951 Institute of Psychology established by the CAS
1955 Established the Chinese Psychological Society
1966－1977 Suspended all professional activities
1977 Resumed professional activities
1980 Joined the IPA
2004 Hosted the 28th ICP
Effect of Rapid Socio-cultural Changes on the Number of People Suffering From Mental Illness
Suffering from Severe Mental Illness
There are only about 600psychiatric hospitals with a total of 11 thousand inpatient beds.
There is a long waiting list for much needed mental health services.
Lack of Health Insurance Coverage for Interventions
the Mentally Ill
1. About 30% of the working population has some type of a mental health problem. 95%of people with depression does not receive treatment.
2. 20% of employees attribute mental illnesses to job related stress.
3. After the ICP, mental health awareness has increased.
4. Multinational companies have introduced the EAP concept to China. Now, Chinese companies are beginning to consider adopting EAP services.
5. Employees also mention changes in family structure along with other rapid socio-cultural changes as factors contributing to mental illnesses.
6. Web-based and telephone counseling make EAP services a reality.
7. The EAP concept is gradually gaining acceptance by the general public.
8. EAP is supported by the Chinese government as well as professional organizations: