Answer as you read
Do you think that there is a central message of protestors at Occupy Wall Street? If so, what would you say it is? What leads you to believe that this is the central message? If you think that there is no one central message, what do you think is holding these protestors together?
From what you have read, what would you classify as the most important events of the protests thus far? Why do you think these events were the most important?
How would you characterize the police response to the protests? Do you think that the police overreacted or enacted an appropriate response? Defend your position.
What more do you want to know about these protests?
Would you consider joining these protests? Why or why not?
1. “I for one am increasingly concerned about the growing mobs occupying Wall Street and the other cities across the country.”
3. “They blame, with some justification, the problems in the financial sector for getting us into this mess, and they’re dissatisfied with the policy response here in Washington. And at some level, I can’t blame them.”
4. “Don’t blame Wall Street, don’t blame the big banks, if you don’t have a job and you’re not rich, blame yourself!”
5. “We are the 1 percent.”
6. “God bless them for their spontaneity. It’s young, it’s spontaneous, it’s focused and it’s going to be effective.”
8. “I think it’s dangerous, this class warfare.”
10. “I’m very, very understanding of where they’re coming from.”
Share of wealth held by the Bottom 99% and Top 1% in the United States, 1922-2007.