GPM. Global Precipitation Measurement Mission An International Partnership & Precipitation Satellite Constellation for Research on Global Water & Energy Cycle. Workshop Objectives [ Eric A. Smith -- NASA/GSFC ]. 2nd International GPM Ground Validation Workshop
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Global Precipitation Measurement Mission
An International Partnership &
Precipitation Satellite Constellation
on Global Water & Energy Cycle
[ Eric A. Smith -- NASA/GSFC ]
[[email protected];tel: 301-286-5770; fax: 301-286-1626]
Purpose & High Level Science Goals of International GPM Ground Validation (GV) Research Program?
2nd International GPM GV Workshop?
1. Establish Foremost Algorithm Developer’s Requirements From GPM GV Measurement Program
Algorithm developers require variety of precipitation measurements from ground instruments and aircraft for direct comparison to their algorithm precipitation estimates -- plus additional remotely sensed and in situ measurements that support improvement of physical formulations and physics assumptions used in their algorithms -- measurements from, e.g., cloud microphysics laser-imaging systems, up-/down-viewing ground radiometers, specialized ground radars including Doppler profilers, impact and optical disdrometers, state-of-art precision rain gauges and dense gauge networks, state-parameter/moisture/wind profiling systems, etc.).
2. Ensure System Integration of Data Acquisition from GPM GV Site Network by use of System Engineering Principles
Three types of GPM GV sites are envisaged: (1) Standard Sites, (2) Supersites, and (3) Regional (Virtual) Supersites. They will be funded and managed by owner institutions for specific purposes -- small number of which will be dedicated to GPM. To ensure successful GV research program, we must develop data acquisition plan from individual sites in framework of “System of Sites” to ensure GPM’s GV requirements are met. It is recommended that data acquisition process from “System of Sites” be developed according to principles of “System Engineering”.
3. Develop Plan for Systematic Accumulation of “Experience Data” from Existing Sites to Ensure “Sensible” GPM GV Site Network Implementation Plan
GPM’s GV site network planning should be based on strengths and experience of participating individuals and institutions -- and thus requires systematic gathering of “experience data” -- data that are essential to “sensible” implementation & deployment of GV site network.
1. 1st segment of Workshop will consist of GPM Mission Status, Algorithms-Applications Requirements, and System Integration of Data Acquisition from GV Site Network.
2nd Segment of Workshop will consist ofWorking Group Meetings & Reports -- where meetings should focus on 3 main themes of workshop (i.e., algorithm developer requirements, integration of site data acquisition plan for site network, & accumulation of “experience data”) -- without restricting discussion to these themes.
3. 3rd Segment of Workshop will consist of Individual Reports Bearing On Site Experience. Obtaining copies of these presentations is very importantin synthesizing “experience data”.