OVERVIEW OF THE LIBRARY HUB PROJECT. “B ringing Books to Public Schools Nationwide”. “ Today a reader , tomorrow a leader.” DR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO Secretary. An Invitation to Invest in Literacy through DepED’s Adopt-a-School-Program.
“Bringing Books to Public Schools Nationwide”
“Today a reader,
tomorrow a leader.”
DR. ARMIN A. LUISTROSecretary
FRANCISCO M. VARELA
Undersecretary of Finance and Administration
Department of Education
If every child is to be functionally literate, there must be an infrastructure that makes available reading materials to support this agenda. However, the problem besetting the public schools in the country is the prohibitive cost of setting-up libraries.
This project aims to develop the love for and habit of reading among public school pupils and students through building a warehouse of supplementary reading materials called the Library Hub. The Hub is anchored on the principle that every child can develop desirable reading habits and skills through greater access to reading materials. Ultimately, it will create pervasive reading culture and environment in public schools. Under the Project, the Department is tapping the support and cooperation of both internal and external stakeholders.
Vision HUB PROJECT
A functional Library Hub in every schools division is a reservoir of reading materials envisioned to develop among pupils and students the love for and habit of reading.
The Library Hub is equipped with adequate and varied quality supplementary reading materials for public elementary and secondary schools shall be established in all schools divisions nationwide.
Goals HUB PROJECT
In order to attain its vision and mission, at least one Library Hub shall be established in every schools division nationwide by 2010.
ObjectivesThe Library Hub Project aims to:1. Provide greater access to reading materials to all public school pupils and students through Library Hubs2. Provide quality and appropriate books to public schools nationwide3. Develop the love for books and habit of reading4. Make every Filipino child a book lover5. Support the development of reading and comprehension skills of public school pupils and students
Large and extra-large divisions may establish five to six (5-6) hubs while island divisions may have one (1) hub divided into sub-hubs, as shown in the chart.
* The project is a cost-partnership between the DepED and the Government. Since the DepED cannot provide full budgetary allocation for a Hub, the Department is strengthening its partnership with its stakeholders to augment other requirements needed by the project.
Hub monitoring and evaluation shall determine the conditions in obtaining the Hub. These constitute the actual observations and interviews using the prescribe evaluation forms. The results of the Monitoring and Evaluation including recommendations at all levels shall be submitted to the Central Office Management and field offices.
Flow private sector may signify their interest to sponsor a Hub. They may support hub renovation or new construction, provision of furniture and equipment, additional books, computers or they may fund the salaries of additional personnel in the Hub. chart of the Central Office Project Monitoring Team
Office of the Secretary (OSEC)
Office of the Undersecretary for Finance and Administration
(Library Hub Project Coordinator)
To ensure the effective operation of the library hubs nationwide, the following are the general rules / guidelines on the use of library hubs:
4. The PHILIPPINESLibrary Hub Coordinator shall initiate the conduct of regular information dissemination and social advocacy among its clientele and stakeholders to heighten public awareness on the services of the hub;
5. The Library Hub is a learning resource center and shall not be a venue of any activity that is not related to the objectives of the Project;
6. The Library Hub Project is not a stock room of the Division Office. The facilities of the hub shall be maximized in making a hub conducive to learning;
7. The PHILIPPINESLibrary Hub is one of the priority projects of the Division Office, hence, the Project Manager is expected the necessary efforts to make the Hub beneficial to its pupils and students; and
8. Quarterly or bi-annual Progress Report shall be submitted to the Library Hub Project Team at DepED Central Office, Merlaco Ave., Pasig City. Inquiries may be forwarded to the National team with phone numbers (02) -6339342 or (02) 6319840.
Thank You Very Much! PHILIPPINES
LORENA S. WALANGSUMBAT
Education Program Supervisor - I
Division Library Hub Coordinator