Steel. Steel is iron that is made stronger by heating it and adding other metals.Steel was expensive and challenging to make.Steel could only be made in small amounts.. Henry Bessemer. In the 1850s Henry Bessemer of Great Britain develops a way to make steel quickly and cheaply.By blasting hot ai
1. The Second Industrial Revolution 1876-1900
2. Steel Steel is iron that is made stronger by heating it and adding other metals.
Steel was expensive and challenging to make.
Steel could only be made in small amounts.
3. Henry Bessemer In the 1850s Henry Bessemer of Great Britain develops a way to make steel quickly and cheaply.
By blasting hot air through melted iron to quickly remove the waste material, what used to take days to make a ton of iron ore into Steel now only takes 10-20 minutes
5. Making Steel
6. Riding the Rails When the price of steel dropped from $100 a ton to $18 a ton
Tracks in America jumped from 30,000 miles in 1860 to 193,000 in 1900.
1860 it took two days and 17 train changes to get from NYC to Chicago
By 1870, NYC to Chicago took one train and half a day.
11. Inventions Dr. Benjamin Silliman Jr. creates Kerosene made from crude oil
Kerosene is used for cooking, heating and home lighting
Demand for Crude Oil increases
1859 Edwin. L Drake invents a way to pump crude oil from the ground
Oil is first pumped from a well in Titusville, PA
Ohio, PA, and West Virginia first oil producers
12. Dr. Benjamin Silliman Jr
The Process of creating Kerosene
Produces gasoline an
Unwanted by product at the time
14. Thomas Alva Edison Edison creates the first “think tank” centered in Menlo Park, New Jersey
Called “invention factory”
Edison held more than 1,000 patents
A Patent is an exclusive right to make or sell an invention
15. Invention Factory 1890
16. Invention Factory 1929 now
17. Chemical Lab at Menlo Park
18. Edison’s Electric Car 1910
19. Edison creates battery powered miners lights 1923
20. San Francisco 1895 Phonograph Parlor
21. 1879 Edison with help from the invention factory create the first electric light bulb
Problem very few homes had electricity
Edison builds a power plant
Supplies power to dozens of buildings in NYC in September 1882
His power plant could only send power over a short distance
23. Electricity Link
24. Westinghouse George Westinghouse builds a power plant
His could send power over great distances
Westinghouse and Edison compete around the country to sell their power plants
Cities now run street cars that run on electric power.
San Francisco is the last major city to still have a running street car system
25. Communication 1861 East and West coast connected with telegraph wires
1866 America and Great Britain are connected with a telegraph wire that lays on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean
Telephone is invented in March 1876
First named “speaking telegraph”
26. Persistence Two men were working on inventing the telephone
Elisha Gray and Alexander Graham Bell