Unit 12: The Civil War. 1861-1865. Southern States Begin to Secede (withdraw) from the Union. The North- Trying to abolish slavery The South- Trying to preserve slavery – a way of life.
Kill the Southern Economy
1. Destroy Farms & Fields
2. Blockade the Southern coast (Nothing in or out)
1. Let the war come to them.
2. Figured the North would tire of the war and cost.
1. Germans-about 175,000
2. Irish-about 150,000
3. Canadians – 25,000
Colors and Numbers
The Civil War has also been called the 1stmodern war
3. Telegraphs were sometimes used for communication – lines often cut through
4. Ironclad ships were used for the 1st time instead of wood ships.
5. Hot Air balloons for spying
Union Deaths =360,000
Total Deaths in the Civil War=620,000
-If you added all of our wars French & Indian, Revolutionary, War of 1812, Mexican War, Spanish/American War, WWI, WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, and our current wars the total number of deaths would not equal the Civil War.
2. 2% of the Entire US population killed compared to .3% in WWII. (2%=over 7million today)
3. There was an estimated 2,261 (major) battles fought during the Civil War- 11 of which were in the Dakota Territory.
The numbers of Civil War dead were not equaled by the combined toll of other American conflicts until the War in Vietnam. Some believe the number is as high as 850,000